Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how do you store your lenses?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

how do you store your lenses?

i have 3 beautiful lenses for my 4x5 mounted on their own lens boards. i keep them in zip loc bags so they stay clean.

but i find carrying my lenses in my back pack may damage them. i was thinking of putting each one in its own box. a 4" cube box would be perfect and would also allow me to put a layer of bubble wrap top n bottom.

so how do you store your lenses?

Photographer

Re: how do you store your lenses?

Look for fishing reel cases: Fishpond or Basspro. This is assuming your lenses are on Linhof-type or 4x4 lensboards.
    Keith Pitman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pitman View Post
    Look for fishing reel cases: Fishpond or Basspro. This is assuming your lenses are on Linhof-type or 4x4 lensboards.
    oooooooohhhh.... great idea! have a pic?

yes my lens boards are linhof 4x4. i see moulded 4" cases from fishpond... is that it?

i found this advertised....
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/boati...8.uts?slotId=2

what do you think?

btw i making a box from cedar closet lining wood to store all 3 lenses. it has side slots so each lens board slips in nicely.... smells great too. almost done. but its not for carrying around in my pack... home storage only.

i wanted to try the cardboard box idea, thats why i asked here... i figured you guys would know.

Photographer

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ron View Post
    oooooooohhhh.... great idea! have a pic?

yes my lens boards are linhof 4x4. i see moulded 4" cases from fishpond... is that it?

i found this advertised....
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/boati...8.uts?slotId=2

what do you think?

btw i making a box from cedar closet lining wood to store all 3 lenses. it has side slots so each lens board slips in nicely.... smells great too. almost done. but its not for carrying around in my pack... home storage only.

i wanted to try the cardboard box idea, thats why i asked here... i figured you guys would know.

No, that’s not what I’m suggesting. Try this: http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/white...-fly-reel-case

Or, this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fishpond-Sw...oAAOSwFO5aHGpV
    Keith Pitman

+1 on the fishing reel cases.

Mine have Velcro dividers which allow you to internally size them to hold different sized lenses.

Mike

I've made my own boxes out of double-wall corrugated cardboard and tape. The boxes are sized for each lens and built so that the lensboard slides in with just a small bit of resistance and the lens caps just touch each end. They are tall enough so that nothing sticks up over the open top of the box and I can stack them in my pack without any pressing on a cable release, etc. I prefer not to have lids for the boxes so I can easily get to a lens when I need it, but one could make lids for them easily. Since these are sized for each lens, there's no wasted space. I carry four or five lenses in such boxes in my pack when in the field.

Cheap, easy and efficient, just the way I like it.

Doremus

This is ... my lens... stored in the bookcase, a little disorder... I made lens cover for each one use plastic.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	????_20171130194606.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	172445

Quote Originally Posted by seanwang View Post
    This is ... my lens... stored in the bookcase, a little disorder... I made lens cover for each one use plastic.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	????_20171130194606.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	172445
    looks like my closets, except mine avalanche when you open the doors.

hahahahaha

Inside a plastic zip bag with some silica gel, individually, this prevents humidity and fungus.

If a lens has fungus it can contaminate the others, so if storing all lenses in the same container then special care should be taken. A good practice is disinfecting used lenses acquired, with formaldehyde gas for example, I do that by placing the lens in a zip bag with a cotton impregnated with formaldehyde during some 24h.

Also all shutter speeds should be shot regularly, I do that every 6 months, 3 shots for each speed.

When they are at home, they are on shelves in a closet -- uncovered, except for front and rear lens caps.

When I'm backpacking (like you), it's completely different due to space and weight constraints. I normally carry around 8-10 lenses (some are tiny), but they are basically stacked together end-to-end in a large, padded, KIWI camera bag -- which includes my 4x5 camera and accessories (except the tripod). If I treated each lens like it was a baby -- like some people do -- I don't think I could pick up my backpack. Everyone has to figure this out for themselves. I really don't care if my lenses have nicks and scrapes -- as long as the glass is clean. My Gitzo tripod looks like a survivor from the Crimean War, and has survived innumerable backpacks from Canada to Mexico -- but works GREAT! Other people want their gear to remain in mint condition. There are lots of Leica users who have never actually used their $5,000 cameras because they want them to remain in mint condition. I'm on the other end of the continuum.

If any of my gear looks better than I do, it means I haven't been using it enough!

P.S. I don't keep my 30 year old Tracker in a garage either -- but I do change the oil every 2,000 miles and give it a carwash every Spring.