Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 49

Thread: Painting an Elwood?

  1. #11

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    now in Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    2,291

    Re: Painting an Elwood?

    I'd paint it white with black blocks/checkers like an Apollo Saturn V rocket. But the it would be an 'art' piece itself (ha). This winter I plan to reassemble my c.1950 Omega D-II. It's mostly clean now; I'll get it all cleaned up- but I won't paint it; I'll let it wear its scars/patina proudly.

  2. #12
    Randy Moe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    8,531

    Re: Painting an Elwood?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    I'd paint it white with black blocks/checkers like an Apollo Saturn V rocket. But the it would be an 'art' piece itself (ha). This winter I plan to reassemble my c.1950 Omega D-II. It's mostly clean now; I'll get it all cleaned up- but I won't paint it; I'll let it wear its scars/patina proudly.
    It does resemble a few things. I like the swan neck curve of the support casting.

    I consider it Art Deco.

  3. #13
    Will Whitaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    North Carolina, for now...
    Posts
    1,021

    Re: Painting an Elwood?

    Is Earl Scheib still in business?

  4. #14
    Randy Moe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    8,531

    Re: Painting an Elwood?

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Whitaker View Post
    Is Earl Scheib still in business?
    I wish! They had great colors.

    Never used them.

    I painted one car, my 1969 Cutlass beater, with black oil paint and a roller in 20 minutes. No prep. I needed an Art car to bolt my sculpture to. It fit on the roof. 1986, well before Burning Man.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    San Joaquin Valley, California
    Posts
    8,296

    Re: Painting an Elwood?

    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I say, 'yes do it. '

    I totally rebuilt my old Seal 200 press. I replaced all the rusty fasteners and re-painted it, re-wired it, put on a new thermostat and rubber mat. I'm glad I did it, it really looks like new. I don't know about other darkroom workers, but I can't make a fine print in a dirty environment with dirty equipment. I mean, physically, yes it can be done, but mentally, it messes with my compulsive personality.
    What paint did you use? I can find hammered metal paint, but it's not heat resistant.
    I steal time at 1/125th of a second, so I don't consider my photography to be Fine Art as much as it is petty larceny.
    I'm not OCD. I'm CDO which is alphabetically correct.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Posts
    462

    Re: Painting an Elwood?

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    It does resemble a few things. I like the swan neck curve of the support casting.

    I consider it Art Deco.
    Clean it and clear coat it, satin. Or better yet just leave it be. Elwood made beautiful under appreciated enlargers. My extra 8x10 enlarger is an Elwood, a joint venture with a friend . 30 years ago we were making 10 inch x 4 foot pan shots with that beast, horizontal! She has a stash of NOS 50 year old 500 watt bulbs for the Elwood
    Great fun. Best Regards Mike

  7. #17
    ic-racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4,805

    Re: Painting an Elwood?

    Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    What paint did you use? I can find hammered metal paint, but it's not heat resistant.
    The paint is not heat resistant. But the housing of press should not be getting that hot. The paint (Hammered Metal that is commonly available) has held up well past 6 years.

  8. #18
    Randy Moe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    8,531

    Re: Painting an Elwood?

    I decided not to paint. A whim. I cleaned and greased it. Ready to use. I have six 500 watt bulbs. To save them, I use a huge CFL for set up. When I moved my Elwood family, I took out the many layers of 'heat' glass, all is well. I even have spare spring balance reels. Not for sale.

    I discovered my Saltzman 5X7 film stretcher fits exactly in the 8X10 film carrier slot. I have a powerful LED conversion ready for that purpose. It pulls the film very flat.

    I'm not sure anyone is ready to fully appreciate survivor enlargers in full patina, but I know car collectors vastly prefer unrestored survivors. The spun copper dome would be tough to replicate...

    Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    Clean it and clear coat it, satin. Or better yet just leave it be. Elwood made beautiful under appreciated enlargers. My extra 8x10 enlarger is an Elwood, a joint venture with a friend . 30 years ago we were making 10 inch x 4 foot pan shots with that beast, horizontal! She has a stash of NOS 50 year old 500 watt bulbs for the Elwood
    Great fun. Best Regards Mike

  9. #19
    ic-racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4,805

    Re: Painting an Elwood?

    Can't you just buy a case of 500W bulbs? I have seen Osram ECT for $2.

  10. #20
    Randy Moe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    8,531

    Re: Painting an Elwood?

    The correct bulb is over 7" long, maybe 8" to hit the domes sweet spot. Lettering is on the base side, not top which can print through. I have Osram ECT. They are short. I tried ceramic extenders. Then I went to old camera stores and bought NOS.

    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Can't you just buy a case of 500W bulbs? I have seen Osram ECT for $2.

Similar Threads

  1. Painting an easel
    By cyrus in forum Darkroom: Equipment
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 26-Jun-2011, 14:21
  2. Painting a studio
    By cyrus in forum Gear
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 2-May-2011, 13:36
  3. How is painting doing?
    By Ed Richards in forum On Photography
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 28-Dec-2010, 17:49
  4. Painting with light
    By domenico Foschi in forum Style & Technique
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 3-Jul-2008, 12:22
  5. This is really alot like painting
    By George Kara in forum Gear
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 4-Sep-2006, 09:10

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •