Thread: LED or new ColdLight for Beseler 5x7 enlarger

LED or new ColdLight for Beseler 5x7 enlarger

Have an older Beseler 5x7 enlarger that works well. Problem is the light is old and output has fallen off.

Where do I start looking for information on replacing the fluorescent type lamps with an LED source - one that is instant on and off like the curved lamp in it now?

Aristo lamps does not have the same thing any longer tho they might be able to make one to fit.

Any of you have made LED light heads point me in the right direction?

The old one still works but is dim and I would like to get exposures down to 15-20 seconds or so.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Re: LED or new ColdLight for Beseler 5x7 enlarger

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Have an older Beseler 5x7 enlarger that works well. Problem is the light is old and output has fallen off.

Where do I start looking for information on replacing the fluorescent type lamps with an LED source - one that is instant on and off like the curved lamp in it now?

Aristo lamps does not have the same thing any longer tho they might be able to make one to fit.

Any of you have made LED light heads point me in the right direction?

The old one still works but is dim and I would like to get exposures down to 15-20 seconds or so.
    What do you mean 'curved lamp'?

I have a 5X7 Beseler cold light head that came off a Beseler chassis that was exactly like a Beseler 4X5 MX chassis. Never considered using it without an LED relamp.

I have posted a lot in DIY here about what I have done with LED. You can look it up faster than I can.

Here they come....

Search the forum; there are several posts here from members who have built LED heads. Of course, there is also Heiland if you have deep pockets.

Here's what I've done:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...5x7-E6-LED-Mod

Unfortunately I didn't think to get photos as I went along, but it's not very difficult. However, its output will be shy of your desired level, so I'd suggest more LEDs than what I used.