Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multigrade filter under the lens filter holder.

Multigrade filter under the lens filter holder.

I am looking for another way to attach Ilford Multigrade under the lens filters as I do not like the Ilford version.
    Does anyone know if it is possible to attach this http://store.khbphotografix.com/Unde...Enlargers.html to the Devere 504 red swing filter rod.

Re: Multigrade filter under the lens filter holder.

Perhaps this is a question for Kevin at KHB, he is very knowledgeable and helpful.

Hello,

Ilford made at least two types of under lens MG filters. Without knowing which you have and why do don't like them, it's difficult to respond.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    Ilford made at least two types of under lens MG filters. Without knowing which you have and why do don't like them, it's difficult to respond.
    No, his existing MC filters work. The difficulty is simply mechanical: can the OP simply screw in the new filter holder into the existing hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    No, his existing MC filters work.
    If they were working for him, he would not be saying that they are not.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    If they were working for him, he would not be saying that they are not.
    Read it again,. He said the filter holder doesn't work for him, not the filters themselves.

I'm not sure about the Devere, but the Durst red-filter holder has a chrome thumb-screw at the bottom. I removed the thumb-screw and used a longer screw of same pitch to attach my home-made filter holder. To ensure the original chrome thumb-screw does not get lost, it is stored on the attachment.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	painted.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	172397Click image for larger version. 

Name:	finished1-1.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	172396Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Filter Holder.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	130.3 KB 
ID:	172398

Drew Wiley

I adapted my Durst ring to accept either threaded MC glass filters or a gel holder. I only use these for specialized spectral tweaks to masks or internegs etc in a registered contact frame. For VC papers I just adjust the light of the colorhead itself.

I also made mine.
    It`s not difficult, and you can do it to the desired filter size. Best of it, you can build a two filter holder system, great for split printing. Basically, a swinging plate with two holes and a post between them. No other method is easier to use, faster and more convenient. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Read it again,. He said the filter holder doesn't work for him, not the filters themselves.
    Thanks for your helpful and considerate response. I can see nothing in his original post that specifically says what works and what doesn't -- hence my original question (to which he has not responded) -- other than he does "not like the Ilford version". I translate that into "they don't work for his purposes". You translate it differently. Big deal -- that and $1.50 will get you on the local bus.

If the Devere under lens filter holder works like the under lens filter on the Beseler, you can easily get Ilford MG filter kits that will fit. Ilford made some MG filters with hard plastic edges, and maybe that's what you have and maybe they are too big for the Devere holder, but Ilford also made the VC filters in different sizes WITHOUT the hard plastic edge. You might need to cut these to the size of the Devere holder, but that is one possible approach. Another possible approach is to remove the filters that you have from their plastic edges and cut them, as needed.

If you are using a setup that attached a filter holder to the lens itself -- Ilford made these as well -- you will find life easier if you migrate to using the Devere holder instead -- even if that means buying a new/used set of filters.

Keep in mind that some Ilford, and other, VC kits have full number filters and some have 1/2 number increments -- which usually cost more but offer a little more flexibility.