Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a self-timer that works with the Ilex #5 shutter?

Is there a self-timer that works with the Ilex #5 shutter?

Having trouble finding something that fits the bill. I have a Kopil wind-up self timer that works with my Crown Graphic, but the cable isn't long enough to trip the Ilex #5 Universal Synchro I have on my 8x10. Is there such a beast? Plan B would be a cable release with a timer that attaches to the release button, but I'm hoping there's a simpler solution. Thanks.

Re: Is there a self-timer that works with the Ilex #5 shutter?

Quote Originally Posted by bvy View Post
    Having trouble finding something that fits the bill. I have a Kopil wind-up self timer that works with my Crown Graphic, but the cable isn't long enough to trip the Ilex #5 Universal Synchro I have on my 8x10. Is there such a beast? Plan B would be a cable release with a timer that attaches to the release button, but I'm hoping there's a simpler solution. Thanks.
    The common cable release with the built-in timer, the one that was made by Prontor, is a long exposure timer from 1 to 32 seconds. It does not delay when the shutter is tripped like a self timer does. It just extends the shutter’s slow time range.

Two versions of the Autoknips self-timer are designed to attach to the end of a cable release rather than to thread directly into a shutter or shutter release:

http://www.submin.com/general/collec.../autoknips.htm

In my limited experience with different Autoknips they've tended to be a little tricky to get working reliably, and I'm not sure whether they'd have enough travel even assuming you're using a cable with enough extension to trigger the big Ilex. But they're not expensive, so it might be worth searching for one of the cable-release versions and giving it a try together with a suitable long-throw cable.

I have the long exposure timer that Bob mentions as well as Prontor's self timer. It is definitely heavy duty with a long enough throw to cock and release an Ilex #5 (I have 3) or the largest wollensak (not studio). It has 3 time settings, 7, 14,20 seconds and a indicator that pops up just before exposure. The instructions (English/German) say that it can trip any shutter. check eB for Prontor timer, there are 3 presently.

FYI, have a WALZ self timer (image attached) that works on all my shutters except for my Ilex #5. Was suggested to me to take it to a local Jewelsmith and have him "micro" weld on a few mm's extension to the release pin.... maybe some day
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WALZ.jpg  

I have a self timer that works with an ilex 5, it has the name Votar on the back, and has 2 settings, one is for some Polaroid camera, labeled p that increases the travel enough to trip an ilex 5.
    Dave

I also have another one labeled Bittco, that has the same feature.

Thanks everyone. Some good ideas here. I have my eye on one of the Votar self timers mentioned.

Small town, South Carolina, US

An old Kodak self timer should work. It is used with a cable release. I just purchased one but don't have a Ilex #5 to try it on.

Quote Originally Posted by rfesk View Post
    An old Kodak self timer should work. It is used with a cable release. I just purchased one but don't have a Ilex #5 to try it on.
    I considered that because I want to get a cable release also. But Oren's comment above, about travel distance, had me concerned.