Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Replacement 8x10 darkslides

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: Replacement 8x10 darkslides

How long do dark slides last under "normal" use before they need to be replaced? I know this is a subjective question but this thread got me into thinking about when I will need tp replace mine. I bought 5 new 8x10 Fidelity Elite holders back in 2011 and 5 new Toyo 8x10 holders in 2014. I'm careful when using them and store all 10 in a padded film holder case when not in use. New Fidelity replacement dark slides haven't been available for a while and I just checked the B&H website and the Toyo 8x10 dark slide is marked as discontinued.

Thomas

Depending on your age, they may need to replace you first. I have 19 8x10 holders that I bought used, and then bought 3 replacement slides. All slides were in good shape when I bought them and all still are. I'm also careful with the holders and I don't shoot 10 8x10 sheets every day. In 30 years, I've not needed to replace any dark slides in any of my holders down to 4x5. I think people get "worried" and start creating solutions for a problem before one exists. L
    Last edited by Luis-F-S; 26-Feb-2018 at 14:39.

Thomas,

It really boils down to how one treats their equipment. Bang it around, it won't last as long as if you give it extra care. But for the most part, film holders are pretty robust, but I've often had the most problems with 8X10 and 5x7 holders when it comes to the dark slides and light traps. Cracked slides or faulty light traps. Unfortunately, light traps can't really be replaced with the plastic holders, but dark slides can.

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    New Fidelity replacement dark slides haven't been available for a while and I just checked the B&H website and the Toyo 8x10 dark slide is marked as discontinued.
    Toyo 4x5 and 8x10 film holders and replacement dark slides have NOT been discontinued. I can supply as many as anyone needs.

Kumar

I'm still using 5 x 7 holders that I bought new in 1970 so they're almost 50 years old and still work just fine.

Intrepid Camera

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    The Intrepid Camera Company has a video showing them using a CNC machine to cut dark slides. I would suspect the company uses similar proportions for dark slide thickness and producing a simple replacement dark slide for Fidelity 8x10 holders should be an easy buck for them since they are already gear up for it. Anyone have any contacts at Intrepid Camera?
    Hello, our dark slides are made from 0.9mm black FR4, its not exactly a cheap material but if you buy it by the pallet then its not too bad... we tested a lot of different materials for dark slides and found FR4 (very similar to G10 but a bit cheaper as it is more common) is basically the perfect material for them. it would also appear that it is what many other manufactures also used/use. our 8x10 dark slides are 209mm wide x 298mm long, with a 80x10mm off centre tab at the top.

We aren't currently able to do custom work due to demand but it is something we could look at in the future, the thought of many film holders not being used due to damaged dark slides is not great and we would be keen to get them back up and running. If it is any help, other materials that worked well were 0.9mm aluminium, this is light proof as is but you may wish to have it anodised black, or if you can find it 0.9mm high carbon ABS, not common but works well.

here is a little video of us making dark slides if anyone is interested in the process,

I have several 11x14 holders that have Stainless Steel darkslides. Consider a local home improvement store such as Home Depot for sheet metal. It is what I will be using when I build some XL holders for an 11x14 and 16x20 view cameras I'm fabricating.

Chas

Quote Originally Posted by chaspics View Post
    I have several 11x14 holders that have Stainless Steel darkslides. Consider a local home improvement store such as Home Depot for sheet metal. It is what I will be using when I build some XL holders for an 11x14 and 16x20 view cameras I'm fabricating.

Chas
    Do you paint them black? If so, with what?

Quote Originally Posted by Max Grew View Post
    Hello, our dark slides are made from 0.9mm black FR4, its not exactly a cheap material but if you buy it by the pallet then its not too bad... we tested a lot of different materials for dark slides and found FR4 (very similar to G10 but a bit cheaper as it is more common) is basically the perfect material for them. it would also appear that it is what many other manufactures also used/use. our 8x10 dark slides are 209mm wide x 298mm long, with a 80x10mm off centre tab at the top.

We aren't currently able to do custom work due to demand but it is something we could look at in the future, the thought of many film holders not being used due to damaged dark slides is not great and we would be keen to get them back up and running. If it is any help, other materials that worked well were 0.9mm aluminium, this is light proof as is but you may wish to have it anodised black, or if you can find it 0.9mm high carbon ABS, not common but works well.

here is a little video of us making dark slides if anyone is interested in the process,

Thanks for taking the time to respond Max. Sent you a PM.

By chance did you guys take the proportions from the Fidelity Holder that is out of business as the dimensions look very similar. Kudos to your comment about keeping holders in service which is consistent with your business objective.

When might you guys have some machine time to take orders and make a run for dark slides? Seems like it would be nothing more than what was demonstrated on the video. I would be in for at least a couple of dozen. Looks forward to more dialog on this topic.

Any movement on this? I would love to be able to make some dark slide replacements.