Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Replacement 8x10 darkslides

Re: Replacement 8x10 darkslides

If you need several darkslides, I'd check out a local plastics fabrication company and see what they can do. Something as basic as cutting an 8x10-ish sheet of material shouldn't be expensive---fabricating a handle might be another story although these guys can get pretty creative.
    http://www.precisionplasticsinc.com/ is the local shop here in Fresno.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I have not read all of this thread so this suggestion may be redundant . . .sorry.

Why not watch the auctions for a relatively low cost "beater" film holder. dump the holder and use whichever dark slide is ion the best condition.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

After several trips to various plastic shops I believe I have found a suitable place where the correct dark slide material can be sourced.

I am having them cut me an 8x10 dark slide out of what appears to be the optimal material and after testing it I will be likely having several dozen made once I get prices and figure out the top tabs. I will report back later.

A couple of years ago I made Whole Plate film holders using Garolite XX as the dark slides. They are not light proof. Some testing revealed sunlight exposes the film in as little as 15 seconds leaving the film splotchy.

If there is a plastic that works like the old plastic dark slides I will replace all the dark slides on my 20 holders. Michael please keep us informed.

Quote Originally Posted by chris_4622 View Post
    A couple of years ago I made Whole Plate film holders using Garolite XX as the dark slides. They are not light proof. Some testing revealed sunlight exposes the film in as little as 15 seconds leaving the film splotchy.

If there is a plastic that works like the old plastic dark slides I will replace all the dark slides on my 20 holders. Michael please keep us informed.
    That is precisely why I am going to test this material for rigidity and light tightness before I proceed. The initial discussions with the distributor sound very encouraging, but the proof will be when it is field tested. More shortly. I will be completely transparent on all of the the specifics at the appropriate time. Cheers!

Photographer

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    After several trips to various plastic shops I believe I have found a suitable place where the correct dark slide material can be sourced.

I am having them cut me an 8x10 dark slide out of what appears to be the optimal material and after testing it I will be likely having several dozen made once I get prices and figure out the top tabs. I will report back later.

Michael,

Regarding the top tabs, attached is a picture of a Chamonix holder. The tabs are integral to and part of the slide itself (which is carbon fiber). The tabs is die cut at the end. The holes are there to improve the ability to grip the thin material. I added the silver paint so I would have a “white” side.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 041900B9-9372-427E-9BB2-B7ADF27D7998.jpg  
    Keith Pitman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pitman View Post
    Michael,

Regarding the top tabs, attached is a picture of a Chamonix holder. The tabs are integral to and part of the slide itself (which is carbon fiber). The tabs is die cut at the end. The holes are there to improve the ability to grip the thin material. I added the silver paint so I would have a “white” side.
    After ruining 2 sheets of 11x14" film (ouch $$), I bought a Brother P-touch Label maker. Now all my Chamonix 11x14 dark slides are numbered (white on black) on both sides and labeled (black on white) on one side with the word "EXPOSED". The labels have lasted for over a year now without signs of coming off.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pitman View Post
    Michael,

Thanks Keith. That image is of great assistance

I shipped the sample dark slide to the plastic fabrication company earlier today and hope that they can use a CNC cutter that would easily just cut the tab in the body of the dark slide over which it would be easy to rivet a white / dark tab on each side. The objective here is to keep the costs down to a minimum as affordability is a primary driver on equal footing with functionality.

I can anticipate that if the issue can be solved for 8x10 replacement dark slides it would be readily scaleable for other formats such as 5x7, 4x5 etc.

Update. I have found a suitable plastic material to make the dark slides out of. I have tested it once and an going to test it a second time just to make sure the initial results can be favorably replicated. It is light tight and sufficiently rigid for the task at hand.

My challenge at this time is finding the best way to cut the material to the precise proportions required for this application.

If anyone has any suggestions on the best way to cut this material that is 1/32" thick, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Ask the vendor first how to cut, then the manufacturer.

Laser, waterjet, both somewhat complicated to access.

I would try a metal shear and a bulk paper sheer.

http://www.custompartnet.com/wu/sheet-metal-shearing

https://www.amazon.com/Professional-.../dp/B003D6JQ62

But this may work very well. https://youtu.be/iTgxDlgOXLc

Can't wait to read your results!