Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Replacement 8x10 darkslides

Re: Replacement 8x10 darkslides

In a thread on photo.net long ago, discussing construction of film holders, Sandy King mentioned McMaster-Carr as a source for phenolic plastic sheets (branded "Garolite") that can be used for septums and darkslides. Also back in those ancient days, Alan Brubaker made replacement darkslides for some of my old Eastman whole plate film holders, and he also said that he used phenolic plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    In a thread on photo.net long ago, discussing construction of film holders, Sandy King mentioned McMaster-Carr as a source for phenolic plastic sheets (branded "Garolite") that can be used for septums and darkslides. Also back in those ancient days, Alan Brubaker made replacement darkslides for some of my old Eastman whole plate film holders, and he also said that he used phenolic plastic.
    Thanks. I will chase this angle and see what is available and report back.

I ordered two 12x12" Garolite sheets from Carr McMaster this morning to see if it will work for dark slide replacement. More shorty.

I would think that a 3d printed one would be strong enough, but I'm not sure. I checked thingaverse.com and found the file to print a 4x5 film holder and darkslide https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:81892

I printed a lens board for a Crown Graphic that worked very well

It shouldn't be to hard to make one out of some aluminum sheet stock.
    You can't teach an old dog new tech's!

I know that Intrepid ship globally but not sure of their rates;
    https://intrepidcamera.co.uk/products/8x10-film-holder

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Turvey View Post
    I know that Intrepid ship globally but not sure of their rates;
    https://intrepidcamera.co.uk/products/8x10-film-holder
    Has anyone purchased one and can comment on its use? It appears that these holders are bottom feed with a rotating bottom flap like the plastic Fidelity holders. Is there an integrated "over top" light flap designed into the bottom flap to keep the light out of this area which is very different than wooden holders that have a straight seam at the two sides?

I saw a couple of days ago eBay had a couple of wood holders in need of repair with three darkslides
    You can't teach an old dog new tech's!

Quote Originally Posted by photonsoup View Post
    I saw a couple of days ago eBay had a couple of wood holders in need of repair with three darkslides
    If they don't fit what you are interested in replacing, it is an exercise in futility. Case in point. My Toyo dark slides do not fit my Fidelity holders and vice versa.

Intrepid have a Facebook Group and the owner posts in there, he was very responsive to many questions I had over email as well, so you may find some info from users of the product in there (I don't really venture in there much);
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/237967590023868

I've recently been looking for 4x5 Double Dark Slides and I cannot get over the cost of the 8x10 ones on the secondhand market.

.031 Garolite Micarta Phenolic G10FR4 sheet can be found on the web but so far I haven't found any that was black. I wonder how a painted surface would hold up? Poorly I would guess.

.032 Aluminum sheet can be found fairly easily on the net and isn't too expensive and is fairly easy to cut.
    Last edited by John Earley; 13-Jan-2018 at 07:04. Reason: ETA