Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Incident meter technique

Incident meter technique

Hola amigos!!! (that's how we roll in SoCal)
    I've been using my old trusty Sekonic studio meter for decades. I love it. But for some reason, I bought a great priced Gossen Luna Pro SBC.
    I rarely use reflected light metering and I just kinda adjust my exposures and developing for it.

Now I know the slider thingy on the Luna Pro has to be in the middle for incident. I was wondering, can I hold the meter UP like my sekonic and it'll get an decent reading? I have the old old upton and upton book and it has the drawing of the gal on how to take a incident with the Luna Pro and basically, for reflected, you point it to the subject which is a given and we all know, but for the incident, it has the gal...AT the subject, pointing the meter towards the camera.

Bascially, the meter is parrallel to the ground. Was wondering if I can stand where I am, and hold up like vertical from where I am, and take a reading? Will the dome on it be sufficient to do that or do I still need to POINT it to where my camera/lens would be?

Sound like I'm overthinking this right? I know, maybe it's the 3 cups of coffee this morning
    --

Re: Incident meter technique

Eric, that's pretty much what I do with my old LunaPro (= LunaSix III), Master V, and Sekonic L-328.

Different meter are structured differently, but for incident metering, you point the DOME at the camera (in front of the subject, if possible). Whether the body of the meter is pointing at the subject is irrelevant. Many meters let you re-position the dome so that the meter readout is pointed at you, while the dome is pointed at the subject.
    Last edited by xkaes; 23-Nov-2017 at 07:50.

You can download a manual for it. Nice meter BTW, I just got one. Trying to figure out BTZS.
    Principal Unix System Engineer, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems

In 44+ years of using a Luna Pro I always pointed it back at the camera position from the subject or, if that’s not possible, from the same light falling on the subject. Always worked for me with that meter and my Weston Vs. If light on the subject is a bit patchy, then you have to give that some thought. Being in bright or dark patch could throw things off and move you off “average.”

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Your getting good advise. I can’t add anything more than I do what they are telling you to do.

Andy Eads
    Pasco, Washington - the dry side of the state

My late lamented alma mater, Brooks Institute, taught an interesting technique in the early 70s. As described so well by so many previously, you simply point the integrating hemisphere at the camera from the subject position (or simulate the condition as best you can if the subject is hard or dangerous to reach.) We also learned to take a reading from the shadow side of the subject. The goal is to know the ratio between the directly illuminated parts of you photo and the shadow side visible to the camera. With some bit of testing, you can relate the ratio to a suitable development time and also arrive at a good exposure. I have lost my notes on the exact process or I'd share the details. I made many nicely printable negatives that way. If you can control the lighting ratio, you can control the whole thing from concept to finished print reliably. Have fun with this!

Ken Lee gives a nice little tutorial for metering on his website.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

You might find this brief article helpful: A Simpler Approach to Metering.

That's fine Ken, just ignore the fact that I had just posted a link to your web page...doesn't hurt my feelings at all...
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg