Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RE: Ground Glass protector

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

RE: Ground Glass protector

Have searched the FORUM and gone through archived posts on this subject. Lot of people seem to use a piece of oversized Lexan held in place with Velcro dots. Sounds like it works, but I am looking for just a bit more protection. Recently had a really, really close call with my 11x14 that piece of Lexan would most probably not haved saved the GG fro breaking. Sheet of thin foam under the Lexan? Sheet or two of Foamcore or Gatorboard under the Lexan? How to attach it to the back of the camera? Suggestions most very welcomed.

Re: Ground Glass protector

Hi Greg,

First and foremost, the protector MUST be MORE rigid than the glass.

That certainly leaves out foam, et al.

Commercial protectors are molded plastic. Quite rigid and strong.
    They usually ride on the wood of the camera, so some distance from the gg.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Have seen a 'sandwich' of mat board going into the film holder slot and tape holding a folded over piece of Gatorboard over the glass. Gator board is pretty stiff and hard to screw up. Does protect the glass and is lightweight.
    Have also seen fomecor done this way and it seems to work though not as sturdy as the Gatorboard.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Have seen a 'sandwich' of mat board going into the film holder slot and tape holding a folded over piece of Gatorboard over the glass. Gator board is pretty stiff and hard to screw up. Does protect the glass and is lightweight.
    Have also seen fomecor done this way and it seems to work though not as sturdy as the Gatorboard.
    I've made gg protectors similar to this, but made of 1/4 inch plwood glued and screwed to a spline of wood the same thickness (or a bit more) as the camera groundglass holder. A couple coats of varnish and felt on the inside so the camera doesn't get scratched. They've worked very well

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

I used to make protectors. Below is a picture of one. Pretty simple if you have a table saw.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	groundglass-protector-main.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	122.1 KB 
ID:	172208

What I was trying to describe is what Jac showed. A picture really is worth a thousand—more or less—words...

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    I used to make protectors. Below is a picture of one. Pretty simple if you have a table saw.

Name:	groundglass-protector-main.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	122.1 KB 
ID:	172208

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    What I was trying to describe is what Jac showed. A picture really is worth a thousand—more or less—words...
    Is a word worth 1/1000 of a picture? Digital or film? LF or smaller? Does it count if you are doing glass plates?
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

When I bought my Toyo 810G it came without the protector. The previous owner said he would "look for it" but nothing came of that so I ordered a new protector from Toyo parts - they had both the original particle board protector and the new protectors they are using which are black acrylic. I got the acrylic for $40 and have been using it with both the 810G and the 810MII for years now without complaint. The acrylic version is the way to go IMO. If I were looking for a protector I'd take very careful measurements and have a place like Taps Plastics https://www.tapplastics.com/ cut one to size for you. The Toyo has replaceable retainers to hold the protector in place on the left side and a locking lever for the right which you may be able to get to work on your camera.

Thomas

This is what I use for both on Canham 4x5 and 8x10.

Name:	GG Cover.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	9.2 KB 
ID:	172219

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    This is what I use for both on Canham 4x5 and 8x10.
    I use the same thing for 11x14. I do not use anything on the 8x10, but I built up the inside of my pack to specifically protect the 8x10 GG.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China