Thread: Linear Raw Scans Wanted

Linear Raw Scans Wanted

I am writing some software, to compliment existing scanning software such as viewscan/silverfast/epson scan etc.

What I don't have at the moment is easy access to wide variety of colour negatives, of current c-41 stock, but I am sure others do.

There are several goals, but one of which is a better or at least less opaque method of inverting negatives.

What I want is:

1. Scans of negative film using popular and current c-41 stock. Think ektar 100, portra 400, fuj superia etc. (I need the name of the film stock for each scan)

2. Nondescript scenes, with a good range of colours and tones, taken during daylight, skin tones a bonus.

3. Not your best work, stuff you don't mind waving any copyright, the image could be cropped for example a portrait from the eyebrow and above, or from the nose below, half a scene, focus on the wrong point etc. However both a 'reasonable' exposure and scan that has been created in a particular way is essential. However I am open to any restriction you might apply to the stuff you send.

4. Ideally scanned as a positive, raw scan in 16bit with no gamma correction. (i.e. the scan will look just like the negative), however if you already have scans saved that you consider raw, then I am interested but only IF you can remember the settings you used.

5. Ideally a little bit of the film base showing in the scan.

Please send me message if you are interested in helping/participating, and I will set up a dropbox link. 3-5 images varied images would be ideal, to start with.

The software is/will be free for use.

Thanks for your interest.

Re: Linear Raw Scans Wanted

So this is pretty much something similar to colorperfect/neg - are you anticipating that it will be a photoshop plugin or standalone? Something which could be worked into a lightroom workflow would be my pet ask

I have a lot of raw scans covering many pro negative film stocks over the last 10 years, but for this purpose would be happy enough to make dedicated scans with whatever settings you require - just to be certain. I can pick suitably boring 'misses' just for this purpose

Quote Originally Posted by BennehBoy View Post
    So this is pretty much something similar to colorperfect/neg - are you anticipating that it will be a photoshop plugin or standalone? Something which could be worked into a lightroom workflow would be my pet ask

I have a lot of raw scans covering many pro negative film stocks over the last 10 years, but for this purpose would be happy enough to make dedicated scans with whatever settings you require - just to be certain. I can pick suitably boring 'misses' just for this purpose
    Yes, and standalone.

Any near 'misses' would be perfect, will send you a PM thanks.

If your using viewscan this is how the files should be captured to be useful for tests

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vuescan_input.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	172190.

From the options tab

1. Preferably choose the slide film option
    2. Bits per pixel 48bits
    3. 1200dpi is for 35mm, 600dp is 120 and I think 300dpi should be fine for 4x5. Higher resolutions are fine.
    4. lock exposure leave the gain on 1 (the following two options are not essential if you already got scans where the exposure was calculated for you)
    5. leave the lock film base unchecked

Name:	vuescan_filter.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	172191

leave the Infrared clean off

When cropping include part of the film base if you can. If you don't want to supply the hole image, part of the image is actually fine, if the colours are of interest.

leave the colour options with the defaults

on the output page choose.

Name:	vuescan_output.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	172192

1. Raw file
    2. 48bit

If anyone else wants to participate and your using epson scan/silverfast or a dslr I will post how to capture those instructions separately, if you send me a PM

If your scanning with silverfast 8 the instructions are:

1. choose transparency
    2. 48bit HDR
    3. resolutions of 1200dpi for 35mm, 600dp is 120 and I think 300dpi should be fine for 4x5, higher resolutions are fine too, especially if you already have done the scan.
    4. crop as you like but please include the base of the film if possible.

Will this just be for color or are you also thinking black and white and will it be Mac / Windows compatible

Both, but however I am doing most of my testing in color as it is "easier" or more obvious when it is wrong, and yes multi platform.