Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to print large files?

Re: How to print large files?

Hi Guys,
    First of all, if it is not already apparent, I am a complete novice to all this digital printing stuff so all your help is very much appreciated.
    To some it may seem insane to scan at such a high resolution (?) but I want to record, by the action of one single scan, the maximum amount of detail I can. This is no different to my film choice.
    After that I can selectively choose any crop, or many, I want from the film and print these in the knowledge that I will have sufficient quality available. I don't really like the idea of scanning at ideal print resolution (?) of 300ppi as any crop would result in this figure dropping off. On top of that, mounting a piece of film to the drum takes just as much time for 300ppi as it does for 4000dpi; I just have longer to do other stuff when scanning at 4000 such as bake a cake, build a wall, read War and Peace etc.
    Following Peter's advice I found the Image Size box in PS CS2 and had a play with it and, sure enough, by adjusting this, by trial and error, not maths, to 450ppi and making a copy it imports into Epson Print Layout and fills a A3 sheet with 10mm border top and bottom at 315ppi.
    So, it looks like I am getting a little more of an understanding of things so I think my plan will be:
    1. Scan at highest resolution available
    2. Crop any part of the image that look like it might print nicely
    3. Try figure out what ratio the crop size is to the paper size and adjust ppi accordingly
    4. Save a copy of this in a new file
    5. Leave original high resolution original scan in 'archive'

I can print up to 17" wide on the Epson SC-P800
    I just had a look at one of the A3, 10mm top/bottom margin, prints I did by reloading into Epson Print layout and it shows at 2328ppi although what the printer actually does with this I don't know!
    "Learning (Photoshop) is best investment you can do" PCasals. I have taken this on board.

Thank you all
    Last edited by Sweep; 21-Nov-2017 at 00:37.

Hi Sweep!
    Nice and detail plans! I'll try something like you said. Could you give few examples of your results? I have Canon Pixma MG7550 and tried to print up to seventeen and have nice pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweep View Post
    As I have been scanning at 4000dpi for maximum detail, which equates to 40,000 x 32,000 pixels on 10x8, I have been getting file sizes of around 1.2gb for B&W.
    Which equates to a 9' by 11.5' print at 300. If you print smaller than that, you downsize and discard all the resolution you spent time scanning for.
    Last edited by faberryman; 22-Nov-2017 at 09:33.

Wow. Nice info. I print 20x60. What's the most effective ( sharpest) way to scan with an X1? I usually scan with max resolutions. Thank you in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
    Which equates to a 9' by 11.5' print at 300. If you print smaller than that, you downsize and throw away all the resolution you spent time scanning for.
    Well, I can't argue with that but please read my reply at post 11.
    What I don't understand, and I am a complete novice you understand, is why people would embrace LF photography and then not wish to record as much information as possible when scanning. I may as well just trade the whole lot in and get myself a cheap 35mm or low end digital. Life would be a lot easier, and definitely cheaper, and I'm sure the results would be exactly the same.

Quote Originally Posted by justiny View Post
    Wow. Nice info. I print 20x60. What's the most effective ( sharpest) way to scan with an X1? I usually scan with max resolutions. Thank you in advance.
    An X1 will deliver less than effective 2000 dpi for 4x5, as sensor has 8000 pixels and you have 4", so divide... your x1 image will have some 8000 pix for the 4" side of the 4x5" negative.

If (for example) you are to print 20cm at 300 ppi you have 7.874" , so multiply by 300 pix per inch, then you need an image with 2362 pixels for the side that has 20cm.

So make a file with 2362pix and print it 100% size at 300ppi (it can be higher dpi at the same time, more than one dot per pixel) and you'll have 20cm in that side.

Regards

I am sorry. It's 20 inches x 60 inches. so... 300 ppi times 20 inches. 6000 pixels and 18,000 pixels for 60 inches. Then x times y is equal to 108,000,000 pixels. It means 108mb with 300 ppi is optimal. Is that right? wait. no. how to convert or translate 108 mega pixels?
    I got it. 12 megal pixels are equivalent to 36 mega bytes. so... 108 mega pixels means 324 mega bytes. Ok. So I need a 324 mb file to obtain the best result. Got it!! Thank you so much!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sweep View Post
    Well, I can't argue with that but please read my reply at post 11.
    What I don't understand, and I am a complete novice you understand, is why people would embrace LF photography and then not wish to record as much information as possible when scanning. I may as well just trade the whole lot in and get myself a cheap 35mm or low end digital. Life would be a lot easier, and definitely cheaper, and I'm sure the results would be exactly the same.
    I agree with Sweep. I do the same. I can always downsize but not upsize without re-scanning. And I am not throwing away my time. I have a designated scanning station. I have other computers to do other things.

I don't think you throw away details by downsampling but the algorithm used may make differences in the results - eg. pronounce the grain, edges of certain frequency. The bicubic is one of the oldest routines, but there are newer methods such as S-spline and lanzos. You may also find when downsampling that doing it in steps can yield better results than doing it all in one go. Experiment and see what works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by justiny View Post
    I am sorry. It's 20 inches x 60 inches. so... 300 ppi times 20 inches. 6000 pixels and 18,000 pixels for 60 inches. Then x times y is equal to 108,000,000 pixels. It means 108mb with 300 ppi is optimal. Is that right? wait. no. how to convert or translate 108 mega pixels?
    I got it. 12 megal pixels are equivalent to 36 mega bytes. so... 108 mega pixels means 324 mega bytes. Ok. So I need a 324 mb file to obtain the best result. Got it!! Thank you so much!!
    This is... if you send an smaller file the printer will extrapolate, if you send a larger file then printer will interpolate. Good printers today have very good resizing algorithms in the software drivers, so not big problem.

Anyway if you are the kind of guy that uses a different sharpening algorithm or setting for eyes than for the cheek you may want to control sharpness it in PS and not in the printer.

In reality this may be noticed by a close inspection, if a big print is viewed from a "normal" distance then the pixel level sharpening is not seen, so it is the same if it is made by the printer or by PS, then just it is necessary to understand how much information you have to send to not limit the printer capability.

I would make clear that when delivering an image pixel for each "printer pixel" (that can have multiple dots) we are talking about the pixel level sharpness, that can be important for the ultimate look in a close view.