Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to print large files?

How to print large files?

Following on from my previous thread about Lightroom and viable alternatives for LF in B&W and colour, with the support of the forum members I managed to get a legitimate download copy of Photoshop CS2.
    I can now do what I originally intended which is to correct the highlight and shadows etc. Pretty simple stuff I guess.
    As I have been scanning at 4000dpi for maximum detail, which equates to 40,000 x 32,000 pixels on 10x8, I have been getting file sizes of around 1.2gb for B&W. I haven't actually scanned any colour yet but that would be limited to 2000dpi and 2gb by my scanner.
    My new problem is that PS CS2, whilst loading fine, wont output to print an images with any 'length' above 30,000 pixels; the 'Print' button is just greyed out. I also downloaded Epson Print Layout (EPL) but that wont even load the file. EPL did manage to load a 5x4 Velvia scan at 4000dpi with a file size of 729mb.
    Am I missing something or what? One of the reasons for me getting the 10x8 was to record huge amounts of detail, slow down my whole picture taking process, improve my technique, and have access to movements etc. Now it appears I can't print any of my pictures or, I presume, will have to reduce the resolution of my scans which defeats the object of doing 10x8. I may as well have bought a 5x4
    So, how do I set up to print one of these large files and have simple layout possibilities, such as image size on paper and margin size, and be able to load ICC profiles?

Thanks ...Sweep

Re: How to print large files?

Little bit of stepping back a bit here.... I figured out what the largest print size that I would be printing 99% of the time. Image files should be as large as to print at the chosen final print size at 300ppi. Large files as yours will contain a whole lot more information, but you won't see it in the final print. For the other 1% of the time when I will be making really large prints, I just rescan the film. Sure others will have different opinions....

I have printed (at a third party printer) 20" x 24" using the resolution and file size idea outlined by Greg, and am satisfied with the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweep View Post
    40,000 x 32,000 pixels on 10x8
    You should send to printer an smaller file that just equals the number of pixels that the printer is to actually print. If you send more pixels than the printer is capable to put on the paper then the printer reduces the image size internally.

The image reduction algorithm the printer uses can modify the look... then it is better you reduce the file size in your computer to be sure about what you will obtain.

In photoshop yo go to main menu->Image->Size and a dialog appears. Then you select the new size, at the bottom of the dialog you have a combo box to select the resizing algorithm, don't use the default one, select "Bicubic, ideal for reductions", this will mantain a sharper look, (if you want sharpness).

After reduction to final size, go to Filter->Sharpening and see if some amount of digital sharpening still benefits your process or not.

There is some confusion between DPI and PPI, dots per inch vs pixels per inch. A printer may stamp several dots to build a pixel. So don't get wrong with that, know how many PPI is delivering you printer and make an image with same number of pixels that are to be stamped, one source pixel for each printed PPI !!!

Here you have a guide to do that: https://www.scantips.com/calc.html

ICC: There is the Soft Proofing technique... A printed image may look very different from what is seen in the monitor. First is that colors that a monitor and a printer may show are not the same, some printed colors can not be displayed by a monitor and the conunter, and then you have the calibration. Photoshop can be adjusted to more or less showing a simulation of the printed look, this is not difficult but it requires learning Soft proofing and ICC usage, and calibrating your monitor with a basic color calibration device.

One easy thing to start is to print a dozen of small same images in the same print, with different levels of saturation, contrast etc, you inspect it with a magnifier and decide. At the end, for critical jobs, it is something it is done before making a big print because soft proofing is not perfect.

If you don't use Photoshop, do it. Not necessary last version, CS2, 4 or 6 are very powerful. Learnig that is best investment you can do if you deal with digital images.

Regards.

Sweep, I am not sure why you are scanning your 10x8 negative at 4000ppi. A file this big will allow you to make a print about five feet wide with over 300ppi going to the printer. Do you really want to make prints this big? If not, then all you need do is scan at a smaller ppi number. If you scan at 1200ppi for eg, you will still have a file big enough to send 360ppi to the printer when doing a 30 inch wide print. If you think you won't ever be doing a print as big as 30" x 24" then scan at an even smaller ppi.

Alan

It would be very useful to know how large you want to print your images. Let’s start there?

One thing to consider for final print resolution and size is the viewing distance. An 8x10 print at 300dpi will look great from a foot away, but a 30x40 print will be viewed from 6 feet or more. in my experience you will be fine with lower resolutions at larger print sizes. As always your mileage may vary.

Prof

Quote Originally Posted by profvandegraf View Post
    One thing to consider for final print resolution and size is the viewing distance. An 8x10 print at 300dpi will look great from a foot away, but a 30x40 print will be viewed from 6 feet or more. in my experience you will be fine with lower resolutions at larger print sizes. As always your mileage may vary.
    Prof
    It is not the same PPI than DPI, depending on system you may need 1200 DPI to obtain 300 PPI

https://www.andrewdaceyphotography.com/articles/dpi/

300 PPI is good, even 150 PPI may be OK, 300 DPI may be too low resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    It is not the same PPI than DPI, depending on system you may need 1200 DPI to obtain 300 PPI

https://www.andrewdaceyphotography.com/articles/dpi/

300 PPI is good, even 150 PPI may be OK, 300 DPI may be too low resolution.
    I was referring to the output resolution of the print. Of course different devices image differently.

Prof

Quote Originally Posted by profvandegraf View Post
    I was referring to the output resolution of the print. Of course different devices image differently.

Prof
    Ok, but remember that if you speak about printers and you say dpi you are saying dots, that may be black or white, and may have no gray levels, if speaking on printers it is very different PPI than DPI. When speaking on scanners a PPI and a DPI is the same.

It is confusing because DPI term is normally understood different for scanners than for printers, so for printers one should make it clear, as printer manufacturers like to speak about DPI because the resulting number is more fancy.

Regards