Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: My perfect fixed lens LF camera - decision 1, the lens.

Re: My perfect fixed lens LF camera - decision 1, the lens.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianlambert View Post
    I’m going to test out the 105 on my sinar first and make sure I’m right as far as it’s field of view goes.
    For that you can use a viewing frame without your sinar and without a lens. In fact, you could use it to determine if you like the 105 or else before you even buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTang View Post
    those Angulon 90's are very small and cover

maybe just buy one of those travelall cameras.. they seem like what you want
    Thanks but I’ve used 90mm lenses and know they’re too wide for me. You might mean the travelwide cameras? I got the impression that the focussing system wasn’t very durable. Agreed though, they do come very close to fitting the bill. I saw one sell recently on eBay for a surprisingly large amount of money though. Although maybe it had a lens with it now I think about it! They didn’t seem to have any kind of shop to buy them from when I last looked. It could be worth looking into more closely though if I can establish a reliable focusing strategy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My perfect fixed lens LF camera - decision 1, the lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Pfsor View Post
    For that you can use a viewing frame without your sinar and without a lens. In fact, you could use it to determine if you like the 105 or else before you even buy it.
    Thanks Pfsor. Is that where you take a matte and hold it near your eye? If so how do I accurately establish that you I’m not looking at a representation of a 90mm or a 120mm? I’m being pretty pedantic with this lens selection I know but I want to get it right.

Edit: to clarify I know I could do some maths and measure a distance from my eye but in practical terms how can I be accurate on the hoof. I thought those were better suited to deciding whether you should pull out a 65mm a 90mm or a 150mm rather than for fine tuning those selections.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks Pfsor. Is that where you take a matte and hold it near your eye? If so how do I accurately establish that you I’m not looking at a representation of a 90mm or a 120mm? I’m being pretty pedantic with this lens selection I know but I want to get it right.

Edit: to clarify I know I could do some maths and measure a distance from my eye but in practical terms how can I be accurate on the hoof. I thought those were better suited to deciding whether you should pull out a 65mm a 90mm or a 150mm rather than for fine tuning those selections.

There are Apps for this question. I had them on my last iPod, but not now. They work well and show many lenses and formats. Just now I found one for movie cameras and iOS. No LF. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/came...890528993?mt=8

If you are App type guy, you may find them.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    There are Apps for this question. I had them on my last iPod, but not now. They work well and show many lenses and formats. Just now I found one for movie cameras and iOS. No LF. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/came...890528993?mt=8

If you are App type guy, you may find them.
    Yeah that struck me too. I found this: The Photographer's Transit by Crookneck Consulting LLChttps://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/the-photographers-transit/id668449546?mt=8
    It uses google street view rather than the camera and it doesn’t crou

Yeah that struck me too. I found this: The Photographer's Transit by Crookneck Consulting LLChttps://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/the-photographers-transit/id668449546?mt=8
    It uses google street view rather than the camera and it doesn’t crou

That's a nice one. Same people made one I was using. There are simpler ones that use your iPhone camera.

Yes, you understand. And don't worry, they are as precise as precise needs to be. Take my word for it. You measure a string of the length of your desired focal length and you see precisely what you get. The advantage is you can make the viewing frame the exact film frame dimension, not just the nominal 4x5.
    And the viewing is very precise. I know because I was walking with a viewing frame each time before I constructed a new camera. If the viewing frame has a larger frame you can very easily judge even the aesthetic composition, it's a real eye opener in such a case.

Quote Originally Posted by Pfsor View Post
    Yes, you understand. And don't worry, they are as precise as precise needs to be. Take my word for it. You measure a string of the length of your desired focal length and you see precisely what you get. The advantage is you can make the viewing frame the exact film frame dimension, not just the nominal 4x5.
    And the viewing is very precise. I know because I was walking with a viewing frame each time before I constructed a new camera. If the viewing frame has a larger frame you can very easily judge even the aesthetic composition, it's a real eye opener in such a case.
    That sounds like a really useful technique to grasp. I’ll look into it. Thanks Pfsor.

forget the travelwide, it's a piece of crap and way overpriced on the secondary market. the Cambo Wide is the one to have in that type of camera. (fixed cone, helical focus).

For a viewfinder consider a Graflex top mounted sports-finder. The view frame can be masked to suit, if necessary, some have parallax correction on the rear sight, they mount nicely into a long flash shoe, and they fold out of the way.