Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My perfect fixed lens LF camera - decision 1, the lens.

Re: My perfect fixed lens LF camera - decision 1, the lens.

I like this also. http://www.largeformatphotography.in...=1#post1360865

I think Bryan a member here bought.

Ah ok. I’ve found 2 cm-w lenses but no NW lenses. I’ve read through sub club. I was working on the premise that edge falloff and sharpness would be better on newer version. The size difference hadn’t gone unnoticed though.
    For most lenses, including the ones we've discussed here, cos^4 bites equally hard. There's no magic that reduces optical vignetting. Since you're thinking about a camera with no decentering movements, there's no practical difference between a lens that covers 162 mm and another that covers 174 mm.

My quick estimates -- depending on your acceptable circle of confusion -- for a 105mm lens at f5.6, set at the hyperfocal distance, everything from six feet to infinity would be in focus. At f11, it would increase to three feet to infinity.

Do you really need a helicoid?

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    If you can find a NW you won't be disappointed.
    I’ll hang out for the NW then, thank you. The size looks much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    My quick estimates -- depending on your acceptable circle of confusion -- for a 105mm lens at f5.6, set at the hyperfocal distance, everything from six feet to infinity would be in focus. At f11, it would increase to three feet to infinity.

Do you really need a helicoid?
    Quite possibly not then. I’m going to be focussed at between 6 meters and infinity but I am inclined to reject images that aren’t tack sharp so I’m inclined to think a little bit of travel will help.

Ok. I’ve got my lens decision made. Thanks especially to @xkaes but also to others for the information experience and opinions. I’m now on the look out for a Fujinon NW 105mm f1:5.6.

I am not wedded to a coupled rangefinder but know that focusing on GG won’t suit what I’m going to use it for. My thoughts were to maybe make use of an existing system like the one in the Polaroid 180/190 or the chamonix Saber which was modified to suit the buyers choice of lens.

I agree that the choice of lens is trivial compared to the other challenges that this project will throw up but it is nonetheless the most important decision for any camera that isn’t going to have interchangeable lenses. That said maybe if I go for an uncoupled rangefinder I could use other lenses although as mentioned I’d probably only want to go as wide as a 90mm and only then if some object stopped me taking a few steps back from where the 105mm would dictate I stand.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianlambert View Post
    Quite possibly not then. I’m going to be focussed at between 6 meters and infinity but I am inclined to reject images that aren’t tack sharp so I’m inclined to think a little bit of travel will help.
    SIX meters is 20 feet!

You've got two roads to travel. #1 -- Just a lens fixed at the hyperfocal distance. Stop down a little -- should you ever need to increase DOF (or sharpness -- however you define that, is another issue), or #2 -- add a helicoid and complicate your life. I'd start out with #1 -- a plain, fixed lens, and only add a helicoid if you are unsatisfied with the results open wide or stopped down. My bet is that you won't go to the trouble of a helicoid.
    Last edited by xkaes; 19-Nov-2017 at 14:14.

The chamonix saber is a superb machine, I enjoy mine a lot. That said I don't think it can accommodate a lens as short as a 105mm. I have it with an Apo Symmar 120mm which is what it was designed around. It's a great fit, about 40mm equivalent in 35mm film terms. The rangefinder is extremely useful.

If you can live without the rangefinder, the Cambo Wide with a 90mm (I prefer Nikkor 90/8) is another good choice. It has helicoid focusing.

You could probably make a Crown Graphic with a Kalart mate up to a 105mm lens and have rangefinder coupled focusing in a small/light package. Plus the lens would fold up inside which is handy.

-Ed

Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    The chamonix saber is a superb machine, I enjoy mine a lot. That said I don't think it can accommodate a lens as short as a 105mm. I have it with an Apo Symmar 120mm which is what it was designed around. It's a great fit, about 40mm equivalent in 35mm film terms. The rangefinder is extremely useful.

If you can live without the rangefinder, the Cambo Wide with a 90mm (I prefer Nikkor 90/8) is another good choice. It has helicoid focusing.

You could probably make a Crown Graphic with a Kalart mate up to a 105mm lens and have rangefinder coupled focusing in a small/light package. Plus the lens would fold up inside which is handy.

-Ed
    Thanks Ed, yes, I'm reading that they allowed people to choose between 120 and 150mm focal lengths. I'm very jealous of you all the same, it does looks like a beautiful bit of work and so functional. Interesting that you say it's a 40mm equivalent too. Some equivalency calculations put it as a 32mm equivalent which is precisely what I'd like to achieve. I guess that's a corner to corner calculation which to me seems irrelevant as what I'm trying to avoid is a wide angle look when I've got critical aspects at the frame edges. I'm hoping 105mm (as I've never used this FL) will come in looking a tiny little bit wider than a 35mm lens on the 135mm format, but with the added height (because I'll shoot landscape).

The thought of trying to get/make a good matching cam for the crown graphic - or the easier to locate in the UK, MPP Micro-technical VIII has crossed my mind but because I'm looking for something that is a one trick pony it feels like a little bit too much. Not written that idea off just yet though.

This camera http://dirkfletcher.blogspot.co.uk/2...is-camera.html by Dirk Fletcher holds a lot of appeal with me though, in fact I've already got the Harman Titan https://www.ilfordphoto.com/harman-t...pinhole-camera rear DD holder in case I should try something similar... I'm wondering about the focus rack of Dirk's camera being cut shorter and mounted further back to project the cone of the harman titan back and forth from a less protruded position, meaning a camera that is slightly larger and slightly heavier than Dirk's other Harman Titan mod here http://dirkfletcher.blogspot.co.uk/2...and-shoot.html It'd be a hybrid of the two concepts meaning a focusable 105mm lens, uncoupled rangefinder bolted on and suitable vf, also bolted on. I'd probably have to sacrifice a DD to have a ground glass for the odd shot here and there plus the calibration of any distance scale.

Following on from the hyperlocal distance post yesterday, I've done some reading and gotten the impression that in this brave new world of massive gallery prints, the old way of calculating hyperlocal on 4x5 might be a little off the mark for my needs. I think a smaller COC number would be needed as many peoples expectations of prints has gone up with the advent of digital technology. Obvs my goal is that it's all handled in camera - in hand, very quickly. Therein lies the challenge, hence some quite specific starting points.

Worth mentioning as background that I'm a father with a young family and the only projects I've been able to do in recent years have been ones where I can whip a camera out and shoot what I see with as many decisions having been made before I leave the house as possible, meaning I avoid getting bogged down when the moment comes. I'd describe the shots I'll be taking as ones that would ordinarily be taken at a more measured pace, but in my case it'll be "stop the car now, I've seen a photograph!" to which the family will start to groan and mither me to hurry up!

Dangerous thread this one. Have been thinking along those lines for some time. Mostly because I like the idea of not having to shoot a roll before seeing a result. Have been collecting parts so far. Already have a couple of helicals of a Mamiya 65 and 90. Plenty of good ideas so far.