Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: My perfect fixed lens LF camera - decision 1, the lens.

Re: My perfect fixed lens LF camera - decision 1, the lens.

Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    forget the travelwide, it's a piece of crap and way overpriced on the secondary market. the Cambo Wide is the one to have in that type of camera. (fixed cone, helical focus).
    There's a used Travelwide 4x5" pinhole with helicoid on you know where right now for $30. It might be crap, but that's close to free -- and it could easily be modified to hold a 90mm. That's way less than a Cambo Wide.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    There's a used Travelwide 4x5" pinhole with helicoid on you know where right now for $30. It might be crap, but that's close to free -- and it could easily be modified to hold a 90mm. That's way less than a Cambo Wide.
    And as soon as the mount breaks it is worse then free! Look for a real camera!

lots of kibitzing in the kitchen this Thanksgiving morning...but this is the best advice I've heard all day! Thanks Bob!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    And as soon as the mount breaks it is worse then free! Look for a real camera!
    The FIVE current bidders on the Travelwide apparently are unaware of their peril. FYI, I'm not one of them!

Just like any broken camera/box, a broken Travelwide can easily be used as a Pinhole camera with some glue or tape.

Hack it and make it a learning experience for a novice.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Just like any broken camera/box, a broken Travelwide can easily be used as a Pinhole camera with some glue or tape.

Well said. God help the buyer if they come here and find themselves in conversation with some of these members. It’ll be the end of any dreams of LF for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post

The one up for auction IS a pinhole version, but it could EASILY be converted to hold a 90mm lens. And with an extension or recessed board could accommodate similar lenses. I'm going to watch it, just to see what it sells for. There are five days left. I was tempted, but I already have pinholes for my 4x5s -- http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/mygear.htm

This is completely new to me, but it has been mentioned on another thread. It is the Harman Titan 4x5 -- made by Walker cameras. Looks similar to the Travelwide. It's a pinhole, but appears that a simple modification would allow a shutter to be added on the front. The interchangeable, solid, ABS "bellows" is available in 72mm (the Fujinon SWD 65mm has a flange focal length of 72mm), 110mm, and 150mm lengths so different lenses could be used -- with or without a helicoid.

http://www.walkercameras.com/harman_...le_camera.html

https://shop.lomography.com/en/camer...pinhole-camera

Has a shoe -- so a range/viewfinder could be added -- as well as some other features (standard 4x5 film holders), tripod socket (for a handle?), etc.

While it won't be under my Christmas tree, maybe Santa will bring you one.
    Last edited by xkaes; 20-Dec-2017 at 09:46.

Coffee's not quite ready so I'm still more or less asleep...but that Harmon product looks like it might be hackable - or build something similar. Then create some kind of simple mechanism...like two mechanical-travel stops...for a two-zone focus. Lens panel would slide between two stops. Sliding distance would be minimal considering a wide angle lens - so should be possible to create something like two shallow nesting wood frames with black felt to keep out light. Maybe "far" setting to encompass infinity very sharply by around f/11 if you are planning to include some handheld work - and "close" set at somewhere like 10 feet. This would assume a 90mm lens...and your mileage might very based on your shooting habits. Oh...I just heard the coffee machine beep. Gotta go!

I'm back. The reason for only two focus positions is that you could do this very simply...yet precisely. Sounds important as I seem to remember the term "tack sharp" showing up somewhere on this thread. If it were me...I'd also incorporate a rear short bellows into a shallow rear frame, which would nest tightly against a middle frame for quick work - but would also allow for a combo of simple rear movements and additional closer focussing. For an idea of this look at a Linhof Technika back. Again...this could be simple, precise, and compact. I'm suddenly inspired...gotta do this!