Thread: new to 4x5 and this forum

new to 4x5 and this forum

Hello,

I'm not new to photography although I never made a study of it or took it seriously. Still don't think I'll do that. But when digital got affordable I took the plunge and went straight back to film after 3 years of struggling. That was the start for me to learn about exposure. Went back to film and as second hand medium format became affordable for me I went that way. Worse, I began collecting film cameras and slowly became interested in what was there besides 135 and the usual medium format sizes. Right now for me medium format 6x4.5 (or larger) slides is my usual medium.

But worse, I started to visit sales and so on. On one of those I got a cheap Fuji 75/5.6. On another a couple of 4x5 film holders and next a Symmar 180/315. For some reason I already had a Jobo so I got a 2905n and made a pinhole. Now finally I took the last step and got a Wista 45SP. Made my first photos with it and I fear I'm hooked.

But I got lot and lot to learn. Specially about movements. I get along with shift but the rest is still a mystery. Development is still a big mystery that I got right twice so far. But I have no idea what I did except follow a cookbook formula. And black&white is also a new dimension to explore. So I hope to find on this forum to find more info and learn a bit about this next step in photography.

Re: new to 4x5 and this forum

Hi Havoc, and welcome aboard.

We all have a lot to learn.
    I've been shooting LF for almost 60 years, and I'm still learning,

Make pictures and present them for comments. You don't even have to make prints yet, if that's your preference. Modern scanners will reverse a negative to produce a digital "print".

The main thing is to get out and do it.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

When I started out, I purchased the Steve Simmons book, "Using the View Camera". It's not the most extensive book out there but it is really easy to understand for someone just getting started. Mr. Simmons also includes lots of pictures showing the effects of camera movements.

https://www.amazon.com/Using-View-Ca.../dp/1626540772

Of course you can also ask questions on the forum and have knowledgeable people like my friend Leigh answer your questions.

Welcome to the forum. We are glad to have you!

Alan

Welcome Havoc. Post your results and ask questions. Lots of people here are happy to help.

Welcome, Havoc!

I find Fred Newman does a great job of explaining basic camera movements in his YouTube video - check it out.

He also summarizes the content of the video in a document, which you can find here.

If you want to dig a little deeper, the old Kodak publication Photography With Large Format Cameras is an excellent resource and you should be able to find a decent used copy without too much difficulty.

I expect you will find this forum to be an excellent place to ask questions and find guidance. Welcome!

Paul

loujon

Welcome aboard!

It helps if you give us an idea of your geographic local so this way you can join up with others in your area for shooting and guidance in the future.

Just a guess but did the SP came from Craigslist? Wash DC?

Hello Havoc, welcome aboard!

I don't have quite the LF experience Leigh does--been shooting LF (4x5 and 8x10) for only 40 years--but I'm willing to help with any questions; as is everyone here.

Have fun! And, may the light always be with you.

Thanks for the welcome. Already plenty of advise I see. Going to check that up the coming days. Did as suggested and went out this weekend. Got the impression I "need" another lens so that's going to be for a thread. And I'll post from the first outing as well. A bit curious about the remarks.

I'm located in Belgium near Brussels. The 45SP came from France. It is complete but there is a bit of work on it. The shift is extremely hard but I guess it is more from not being used that something really wrong. At least there are no leaks.

Hi Havoc,

The shift may be stiff from disuse, or there may be a lock to prevent its movement.
    Also, lubricant (grease) may deteriorate with age and become solidified.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Welcome aboard!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White