Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weston Show at the Eastman House

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Weston Show at the Eastman House

Tim, I noticed in the galleries that house the permanent collection at the modern, the rooms with the oldest work are the dimmest. All the nineteenth century work, through to the 1920s or so, are kept under what's probably 50 lux conservation lighting. Which is more like a romantic, candle-lit dinner than a western skylight. I'm not surprised that they light the albumen work like this, but the silver and even platinum work is lit the same way. While in the next room, ektacolor prints that they probably paid tens of thousands for are lit up with floodlights. Very interesting.

I saw a Weston show and a Stieglitz show in Washington D.C. a couple years ago. Both were very dimly lit. The Steiglitz prints were dark to begin with and showing them in subdued lighting was little better than not showing them at all. Weston's didn't suffer quite that much but still would have been better viewed under brighter light. It seems to me that if hours of exposure to light is the concern it would be better to cut the viewing hours in half and increase the light output so that the prints could be viewed as their makers intended. There weren't any huge crowds at either exhibit so I don't think cutting the viewing hours would have done any great harm and those who cared would then have been able to see the prints.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I'd make good copy prints or show Brett's versions and blast the room with light. Seeing the originals is nice from a historical perspective but if you can't really see them it is silly.

I once attended a show of early pics(1870-90s or so) where the images were under dark velvet curtains that had a rod you lifted so you could view the prints underneath. This protected the image from constant light yet allowed them to be viewed in good light when they were being looked at...probably a very nice compromise overall.

CP Goerz.

The 'Ansel Adams at 100' show in L.A. a few years back was also very dark; so dark in fact that many prints could not be seen very well at all, or properly appreciated. On the other hand the Getty has a good show of Strand prints going on now that are well lit. It seems to be gallery dependent how the photos are presented. I hope some places don't lower the lights simply for 'artistic effect'.

The Eastman collection is also displaying "The Best of Ansel Adams" at the Universty of Maine museum of Modern Art. I must say the lighting there was great. Some of the prints also looked like they had been reframed, and overmatted for conservation on some of the older prints. I spent a good bit of time looking for inspiration, and left with a better attitude toward his work than I had preconceived. Regards,

Our family just attended a show at the Boise, ID Art Museum entitled "Georgia O'Keeffe: Visions of the Sublime" which shows a span of 50 years of her work and contrasts with several of Stieglitz's silver gelatin prints, e.g., his "equivalents" series of clouds. As a bonus, there are several portriats of Georgia O'Keeffe by Todd Webb. The lighting at this museum was dimmed and like at other shows....no pictures! If anyone is in this area between now and Sept 19th, you should make a point to visit!......despite the dim lighting.