Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hole position on lens boards for Chamonix 4x5

Re: Hole position on lens boards for Chamonix 4x5

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    My measurements are very similar to one of Greg's -- I'll take pictures tomorrow and show them here.
    Here is a photo of one of my #1 Wista boards. You can see that it a genuine Wista board. You can also see that the center of the hole is not in the middle of the board, nor the light trap. It matches up with what Greg has found on his boards, but his measurements are more exact than mine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wista1board.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	172083

http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/wista1board.JPG
    Last edited by xkaes; 17-Nov-2017 at 17:04.

Quote Originally Posted by consummate_fritterer View Post
    I have a Chamonix 045N-1 and (to my 'eyes') the center of the holes are best placed in the center of the light trap. BTW, I replaced the original GG and had it accurately spaced regards to focus.
    Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    Here is a photo of one of my #1 Wista boards. You can see that it a genuine Wista board. You can also see that the center of the hole is not in the middle of the board, nor the light trap. It matches up with what Greg has found on his boards, but his measurements are more exact than mine.
    So it seems that there are boards with centered and offset holes; no new news there; and that the boards with centered holes are not factory standard. Despite what Bob posts, I believe that the factory offset for Linhof Technika boards places the hole off-center in the circular light trap, like the Wista board xkaes has posted.

I pursued the centering issue in another thread about Chamonix cameras and the consensus there was that an offset hole is needed to properly center the lens on Chamonix cameras as well (despite what cosummate_fritterer posts above...). Still, the issue was not definitively resolved. Maybe Hugo could chime in here?

If, as Bob states and is likely true, there is a standard offset for all Linhof Technika cameras that is the same, and that that applies to Wista as well, then the open question is whether other camera manufacturers (like Chamonix) that have designed their cameras to use Technika-style boards have adopted the same standard. And, it would be really nice to know, in mm as relates to the bottom or top of the board, just where the center of the hole should be in order to conform to Linhof/Wista specs. Maybe Bob could chime in again here?

Anyway, a board with a factory-machined hole in it from Linhof or Wista should center the lens on the film when the front standard is aligned to the reference marks; that seems fairly certain now. For other cameras that take Technika-style boards, there is still some question. And, for self-machined or after-market boards that could have the hole positioned anywhere, it seems best to mount the board with lens on whatever camera you use it on and make reference marks on the board itself for that particular application if centering the board is important to you.

Best,

Doremus

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    So it seems that there are boards with centered and offset holes; no new news there; and that the boards with centered holes are not factory standard. Despite what Bob posts, I believe that the factory offset for Linhof Technika boards places the hole off-center in the circular light trap, like the Wista board xkaes has posted.

I pursued the centering issue in another thread about Chamonix cameras and the consensus there was that an offset hole is needed to properly center the lens on Chamonix cameras as well (despite what cosummate_fritterer posts above...). Still, the issue was not definitively resolved. Maybe Hugo could chime in here?

If, as Bob states and is likely true, there is a standard offset for all Linhof Technika cameras that is the same, and that that applies to Wista as well, then the open question is whether other camera manufacturers (like Chamonix) that have designed their cameras to use Technika-style boards have adopted the same standard. And, it would be really nice to know, in mm as relates to the bottom or top of the board, just where the center of the hole should be in order to conform to Linhof/Wista specs. Maybe Bob could chime in again here?

Anyway, a board with a factory-machined hole in it from Linhof or Wista should center the lens on the film when the front standard is aligned to the reference marks; that seems fairly certain now. For other cameras that take Technika-style boards, there is still some question. And, for self-machined or after-market boards that could have the hole positioned anywhere, it seems best to mount the board with lens on whatever camera you use it on and make reference marks on the board itself for that particular application if centering the board is important to you.

Best,

Doremus
    Just buy a pilot hole only board from Linhof and Wista and you will see where the hole is centered.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Just buy a pilot hole only board from Linhof and Wista and you will see where the hole is centered.
    Trying not to spend money to find this out. I would have thought that the Linhof/Technika specs were a matter of published public record and that the company would be happy to share them. Is there a source online or somewhere? It seems silly to have to reverse-engineer this just to find out where Linhof drills their holes...

Doremus

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    Trying not to spend money to find this out. I would have thought that the Linhof/Technika specs were a matter of published public record and that the company would be happy to share them. Is there a source online or somewhere? It seems silly to have to reverse-engineer this just to find out where Linhof drills their holes...

Doremus
    I have never seen it in any factory documentation and from 1980 till 2015 no one had ever called ur, written us or emailed us with the question. Nor had anyone asked us at any trade show or dealer demo. But then that was only for 35 years!
    Perhaps someone had asked service but that would be a question that you might want to direct to them. Service in the USA is Bob Watkins at Precision in Niles, IL.