View Poll Results: Self-published v. traditionally published book. Do you feel... ?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • more respect for self-published book than traditionally published book

5 10.20%
  • less respect for self-published book than traditionally published book

12 24.49%
  • equal respect for self-published book and traditionally published book

23 46.94%
  • more likely to buy self-published book than traditionally published book

2 4.08%
  • less likely to buy self-published book than traditionally published book

10 20.41%
  • equally likely to buy self-published book and traditionally published book

24 48.98%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Perception of self-publishing v. publishing

Re: Perception of self-publishing v. publishing

For both fiction and non-fiction self-published is a red flag since the authors often don't see the need for an editor or think that it is all about spotting typos etc. You will still get absolute gems, but the signal to noise ratio is extreme. With books of photography that is a much smaller issue since the buyer is either already familiar with your work or is standing at the table leafing through the book. A good editor would still be an advantage in terms of selecting the final cut of photographs for the book and what sequence they appear in but won't be a make or break thing.

Right now self published "photobooks" are all the rage and there was even a weekend event for them inside the National Gallery of Victoria, the most prestigious art space in my home town (Melbourne) and one of the top galleries in the country. They are usually at the lower end of the quality range or aiming at a handmade aesthetic but I would say that there is no intrinsic shame whatsoever in a self published monograph of your own photos. Get as much advice as you can and find a printer who is used to printing books of photography.

Re: Perception of self-publishing v. publishing

I'm sort of the equal respect and equally sold on either source of book. I think the idea of a high volume high sales photography book is now ancient history. A Sierra Club coffee table book of Eliot Porter photos would not happen now. The fact that it's reprinted now shows how big an influence it must have been and is only academic or nostalgia now. Life Magazine special books and the magazine itself are no more. Newspapers don't have photographers anymore. The big name doesn't mean big sales or big quality. Likewise we all know quality can vary greatly if someone whos a great photographer but poor in writing or design makes a book with blurb or createspace. Printing tech has improved greatly and there is no reason the mechanical process has to be expensive. I'd be thrilled even for that for from great photographers who make awesome photos but aren't on the radar of museum exhibit catalogs or publishers. There's probably at least a dozen on the forum I'd be game for modest self published books. On the high end, it's a nice way prolific printers to share some nice work too.