Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Scitex Eversmart Calibration Slide

Re: Scitex Eversmart Calibration Slide

Good to know, Jim.

What are some of the things I should look at before I purchase them? Are there any lights that indicate certain problems or anything similar to that?

I'm also wondering about how the film is held in place. I know Epson has special film holders (which apparently are total garbage, especially if your film curves a bit). From the pictures I have seen it seems like the film is just placed in the scanner without any special holder, so it's basically "sandwiched" between two the glass plates.

You're correct - the Eversmats/IQsmarts don't use holders. There are masks for different film sizes or you can get a blank one and cut yout own, but a lot of folks just tape the negs to the glass.

That is very convenient.

Is there a way to check if the scanners are ok apart from the calibration?

Since the scanners is coming with a G3 computer, it should already have Eversmart Scan installed. A calibration / test utility comes with the software that you can run to check the scanner. It will let you know if there is anything wrong with the scanner hardware, calibration, or software.

Also the scanner status led should be green. Blinking RED could indicate a hardware issue or could be a loose panel.

Pali

USB on old Macs of v1.1 and are terribly slow (unusable for scans transfers)
    Theoretically you can drive your scanner from under Mac OSX if you manage to find the right Eversmaert software for it and a working Ratoc FR1SX FireWire(IEEE1394) to Ultra SCSI Converter.

SergeyT

Quote Originally Posted by SergeyT View Post
    USB on old Macs of v1.1 and are terribly slow (unusable for scans transfers)
    Theoretically you can drive your scanner from under Mac OSX if you manage to find the right Eversmaert software for it and a working Ratoc FR1SX FireWire(IEEE1394) to Ultra SCSI Converter.

SergeyT
    With respect, I disagree, Sergey.
    I use G4 with Eversmart Pro; I scan directly to USB key, and when I'm done all scans, I transfer to Mac mini.
    Works faster than my previous set-up, a MacBook Pro and Epson v750.

I run my IQsmart 2 from a middle aged Macbook Pro saving the files to a USB stick which I then transfer to my REAL (Windows) computers. My Modus Operandi is simple - load a bunch of negs on the scanner, start the scan, and go to sleep.The scans will be finished by morning.

So, I'm finally picking up the scanners tomorrow! What should I watch out for when I transport these beasts? I read something about CCD lock down on the CPS site. Know anything about that?

Also, one last question regarding the calibration slide: does a calibrated scanner scan "sharper" than a non-calibrated one?

Make sure the scanners are locked and that the glass tray is packed separately and very well-padded and protected for transport.
    Bring friends, these are heavy scanners, and awkward to carry.

Are those simple to lock down? What about the glass trays? And I'm bringing two other people with me.