Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Scitex Eversmart Calibration Slide

Re: Scitex Eversmart Calibration Slide

Quote Originally Posted by The Austrian Dude View Post
    What do you mean?
    I mean... You must have the slide for adjustments and calibration in that scanner. Though you can scan for years if everything is OK without it.

The first thing is to clean the optics in the scanners. Though it can scan without it.

Quote Originally Posted by SURF View Post
    I mean... You must have the slide for adjustments and calibration in that scanner. Though you can scan for years if everything is OK without it.

The first thing is to clean the optics in the scanners. Though it can scan without it.
    Maybe I am missing your point, but we have been discussing the calibration slide for quite a bit now. The scanners unfortunately don't come with one, so I am going to order one from CPS as soon as I have them.

Do you have a guide on how to clean them? Or is that in the user manual?

My point is that I say it's OK, when you asked "The used slides with VAT and shipping will cost me about $180. So everything together is going to cost me $300. I would say it's pretty good, no?"

BTW you do not need slides. You can do fine with ONE slide for both scanners.

Another BTW: first thing you can do is killing the glass while cleaning it. It is a long discussed thing. New glass costs more than you paid already.

Quote Originally Posted by SURF View Post
    My point is that I say it's OK, when you asked "The used slides with VAT and shipping will cost me about $180. So everything together is going to cost me $300. I would say it's pretty good, no?"

BTW you do not need slides. You can do fine with ONE slide for both scanners.

Another BTW: first thing you can do is killing the glass while cleaning it. It is a long discussed thing. New glass costs more than you paid already.
    Which is why I said I'm ordering one.

And also I asked about a guide because I know that these machines can be very delicate, and even the slightest mistake could mess up the entire scanner.

Hey everyone!

So over the past weeks I was trying to find software the right software for OS 9.2 so that I could start setting up everything as soon as I buy the scanners. I was thinking about using Goliath (WebDAV client) so that I could run Box as cloud storage, but I just recently found out that developer site isn't online anymore. Seems like that this was the last WebDAV client that still worked on OS9. Next, I tried to find to find a PCI USB card for the Mac, but I couldn't find anything either. I talked to my a friend of mine, who has quite a few of these old Macs at home, and he told me that it is next to impossible to find one. Now my last option would be setting up a TFP, but I have absolutely no experience with that, and I can't find any proper tutorials online. So, this has turned into a very risky purchase. Do you guys have any suggestions on what I could do? I was really interested in these scanners, but obviously I don't want to buy something I won't be able to use. I also had another idea, which some of you will definitely not like. I was thinking of getting a macro lens and just use the digital camera as a scanner.

Assuming by looking for the right software you mean you are looking for a way to transfer your scans to the editing station here is what can be done:
    Get a TCP\IP client for Mac OS 9 or
    Get a G4 and install both Mac OS 9 and MAC OSX. Boot into Mac OS9 to drive your scanner and boot into Mac OSX to transfer your files over TCP/IP or
    Get a G4 with Mac OSX and an EversmartScan(3.5?) that is supported on Mac OSX. Scan on and transfer from Mac OSX

Regarding the calibration slide. Scratches are usually not an issue. But there is a piece on it for white balance calibration and that may fade\color shift with age. So the scanners white balance after calibration might be off. Scans of Fuji trasnparencies will come out with a distict magenta cast anyway and will require adjustments in post no matter how good the white balance was set during the calibration.

Hope that helps
    SergeyT

The simplest, and fastest, method for transferring files from a G4 with OS 9.2.2 to a working machine is to use Fetch FTP client and FTP server on your main machine.

Pali

Quote Originally Posted by Pali K View Post
    The simplest, and fastest, method for transferring files from a G4 with OS 9.2.2 to a working machine is to use Fetch FTP client and FTP server on your main machine.

Pali
    Or, you can use Dave software and drag files from os9 to any machine or NAS on your network.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sergey, you gave me an idea. The scanners come with a beige G3, so I could get a G4 with OS 10.4, and use that to boot into 9.2. That way I could use 9.2 for the scanning, and once I'm done with that I go back into 10.4, and use that for the data transfer. This is slowly turning into an expensive purchase.

Pali, unfortunately I don't know how to set up FTP, but apparently OSX machines can still communicate with each other. However, if that doesn't work I can just simply use a USB stick.

nbagno, isn't Dave software extremely expensive?

Is it just me or are you guys really trying to make me to buy those scanners?

Would we try to convince anyone to get a great scanner? Would we? Of course not!(Ha Ha Ha)