Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scitex Eversmart Calibration Slide

Scitex Eversmart Calibration Slide

Hey everyone!

I'm a longtime lurker, and I have finally decided to sign up. I just hope it's okay that only have a 35mm and a medium format camera.

So, I recently came across two Scitex Eversmart scanners (not Pro or any of the other versions), and I could get both with an Apple Macintosh G3, three different instruction manuals, and 3 different CDs. According to the seller at least one of the scanners works, but in theory the other one should be functional as well. The total price would be around $110. While this sounds like a great deal, turns out the calibration slide is missing. I did a bit of research and it seems like CPS is the only place that still sells them here in Europe. However, they charge $350 (without shipping) for one. In a later email the seller told me that the G3 runs two different copies of the same software, one for each scanner. According to him one of the scanners is calibrated, while the other one isn't. The software for the one that isn't calibrated throws out an error messages about the lamp parameters not being correct (whatever that means). Interestingly enough, the scanner that apparently isn't calibrated makes better scans than the one that is.

So yeah, as you can probably tell by now, it is a very messy situation (if that's what you want to call it).

My main question is if I should go for the scanners? If the scanners are worth it, I could theoretically bite the bullet and go for the $350 calibration slide. Although, how important are those? Would a cheaper scanner like an Epson be a better option?

I hope this isn't too confusing.

With best regards,
    The Austrian Dude

Re: Scitex Eversmart Calibration Slide

Eversmart scanners are among the best flatbeds you can buy, even the earlier models.
    Scan quality and calibration are both tops, in my opinion.
    Having the calibration slide makes these machines useful; without one, they're not going to serve for much, so the $350 investment is very much worth it.
    Getting two scanners (one for parts?) and the G3 tower for ~$460 is a fantastic deal; there isn't an Epson that can outperform even these base models.

Yeah, from what I have been reading these past few weeks, they are absolutely fantastic. My only concern is that these machines are close to 20 years old. While age certainly shouldn't be the biggest concern, the seller doesn't know anything about the history of the scanners. So if one of them breaks and I can get parts from the other one, I won't be able to do much since these machines are complex, and only one place in Europe that services these scanner is in the UK (I don't live in the UK). So $450 isn't a lot, if I can get scanners which are going to work for the next few years.

Ari, I take it that you also have one of these scanners. May I ask how you transfer your scans from your old Mac to a new computer?

Also, I got a question about the scanning process. I know that on Epson scanners you do a preview scan and then you select the pictures that you want to get scanned. After that you can leave the scanner and do something else. Is it the same for Eversmart scanners?

With best regards,
    The Austrian Dude

Quote Originally Posted by The Austrian Dude View Post
    Ari, I take it that you also have one of these scanners. May I ask how you transfer your scans from your old Mac to a new computer?

Also, I got a question about the scanning process. I know that on Epson scanners you do a preview scan and then you select the pictures that you want to get scanned. After that you can leave the scanner and do something else. Is it the same for Eversmart scanners?

With best regards,
    The Austrian Dude
    Yes, I have an Eversmart Pro, circa 1997, it runs great, as does the G3. I upgraded to a small SSD and it helped speed up scans, which were not that slow to begin with.
    I keep a small USB drive connected to the G3 and scan directly to it; then I transfer the USB drive to my Mac, which is up-to-date with High Sierra.
    And yes, you can tell the scanner what to do and it'll scan several negs while you do other things.
    If you search this forum, you'll find another thread on Eversmart scanners, and in there is a link for an operating manual you can download online.

Ari, I'm sending you a message. I got a question about your scanner, but I didn't want to interrupt the discussion.
    JLR

Thanks Ari! Unfortunately the Mac doesn't have a USB port, so I will have to use an FTP server or use Dropbox. I didn't look for any of the manuals since the scanner comes with quite a few.

I just sent an email to CPS, but I am not sure if I'm ever going to receive a reply since the site hasn't been updated since 2013. Do you know if any calibrations slides have been sold on this forum before? I currently can't find the posts, but if my memory serves me right, I saw a few "unofficial sales".

Yes, you can use FTP/Dropbox as well.
    I forgot to say that the USB slot is in the keyboard, and that's what I use.

You can also try to contact Michael Streeter at Genesis Equipment Marketing.
    He'll know how to help you if nothing comes of your call to CPS.

Michale isn't at Genesis anymore - I think they dropped out of the scanner business

His e-mail is info@scansolutionsonline.com.

Give him a holler - he's knowledgeable and helpful whether you buy from him or not.

Michael Streeter - that name is synonymous with Eversmart scanners!
    I looked at GEM several times, but they are located in the US so there is a good chance that I will end up paying quite a lot for the import.

Hey Jim! Thanks for the info!