Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: an interesting experience at Schipol Airport Amsterdam - re: X-RAYs

Re: an interesting experience at Schipol Airport Amsterdam - re: X-RAYs

Crap like this is why we have opted to leave the EEC.
    Pete.
    And if a plane from an EU (EEC became EU in Maastricht, 25 years ago...) country suffers a hijacking or worse, people like you will be the first to comment on lax security at them EU airports.

I always keep an exposed sheet or film to show them what film looks like. Some of these airport security officials are just kids who grew up in a digital world and do not understand what film is. I never have problems especially when I show them the effect of X-rayed film on a damaged 120 roll.

I travel quite a bit and often had to explain to younger security people what is this "film" thingy. When my Rolleiflex TLR or Hasselblad SWC goes through the x-ray immediately I get flagged. This happens 9 out of 10 times. So no way will I draw attention to sheet film. Some one will inevitably ask me to open a box and I am out of Readyloads. Anyway 50 rolls of TMY 120 got zapped between Brussels airport and Morocco at least 10 times last month with no apparent damage so I don't worry about it. But the last time I flew out of SFO they were using the new MRI type scanners. Hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by jackdab View Post
    I always keep an exposed sheet or film to show them what film looks like. Some of these airport security officials are just kids who grew up in a digital world and do not understand what film is. I never have problems especially when I show them the effect of X-rayed film on a damaged 120 roll.
    This sounds like a great handy solution for all the people here having problems to explain what film is while insisting on hand inspection. But seems like the radiation isn't that grave as some expect. Anyways, I wish everybody safe films and great results.

Quote Originally Posted by germansaram View Post
    This sounds like a great handy solution for all the people here having problems to explain what film is while insisting on hand inspection. But seems like the radiation isn't that grave as some expect. Anyways, I wish everybody safe films and great results.
    But showing them a piece of film doesn’t really explain what might be in a sealed film box. Just because the box is labeled “film” isn’t a guarantee that it actually contains film!

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    Or get a copy of the official rules in your country. I always carry a copy of the US rules -- I've only needed to pull them out once.
    Get the wrong official at the place and pull out "official rules" and be ready for body cavity searches, tearing apart anything and everything you have with you and a miserable time as you are held long enough to miss your plane. Then when you act frustrated they will start with "resisting", "acting in a suspicious manner" and any of a list of things that they can pile on.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Get the wrong official at the place and pull out "official rules" and be ready for body cavity searches, tearing apart anything and everything you have with you and a miserable time as you are held long enough to miss your plane. Then when you act frustrated they will start with "resisting", "acting in a suspicious manner" and any of a list of things that they can pile on.
    Better would be to request, politely, they call the supervisor over for an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    But showing them a piece of film doesn’t really explain what might be in a sealed film box. Just because the box is labeled “film” isn’t a guarantee that it actually contains film!
    You are right! But it might help with all the confusion what film is. I thought that was the main problem, which many users described here.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    Or get a copy of the official rules in your country. I always carry a copy of the US rules -- I've only needed to pull them out once.
    I tried this and it worked! Ty