Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: an interesting experience at Schipol Airport Amsterdam - re: X-RAYs

an interesting experience at Schipol Airport Amsterdam - re: X-RAYs

haven't posted in a dog's age but I thought this might be useful to someone:

So I was just coming back to the states from a europe trip. I asked for a 'hand inspection' at the security checkpoint ... they are asking me all kinds of questions about the equipment - well mostly my partly full 4x5 fuji film boxes, which i did not want x-rayed. The more I explained and tried to hold up the boxes - shaking them - to explain that they contained sheets of film - the more attention this seemed to draw (odd, to me) - and eventually I had something like eight security people - including managers, surrounding me. For some reason they thought the film was highly suspicious. In a minor pique of frustration I simply said to one of the senior officials - "well - if it's going to be THAT much of a problem - then please just throw out the film ...it's expensive but really not worth the trouble ...". IMMEDIATE STAND DOWN. As soon as they heard that - i got the all clear. I could take my film with me. So anyway- for what it's worth - if you're in europe (or maybe anywhere) in my situation - you might want to try that if you're having any problems.

thanks for your time

Re: an interesting experience at Schipol Airport Amsterdam - re: X-RAYs

Or get a copy of the official rules in your country. I always carry a copy of the US rules -- I've only needed to pull them out once.

great idea xkaes, but what do you do if you are returning via Frankfurt, Paris, Schipol, etc. Don't their local rules apply? How does that work, exactly?
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

Pete Oakley

Crap like this is why we have opted to leave the EEC.
    Pete.

Les

Don't think I'd generalize....or be a consequence of flying from any country. I've experienced several things that were right down silly, but
    I'd go to another place and loptop doesn't even have to be pulled out of the backpack. Go figure! Ha, I leave Poland appx 1/2 yr ago and
    they asked me to pull EVERY item out of my bag....good thing I didn't have any film. Oy! Anyway, don't think there is any sort of standardization (rules-shmules)....and v. often the local airport security doesn't have the eq the big airports do.....so no telling what will take place. Sometimes you slide with no issues, other times.....(fill in the blanks).

Les

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Collins View Post
    great idea xkaes, but what do you do if you are returning via Frankfurt, Paris, Schipol, etc. Don't their local rules apply? How does that work, exactly?
    Read what I wrote. I said "get a copy of the official rules in your country". That means the country you are in or traveling through -- OBVIOUSLY.

I learned a long time ago to keep film out of the air transport system. I *always* ship my film separately, both to and from location work. Never carry film into an airport. You're just asking for a) trouble, and b) heartbreak (if they destroy your exposed film, which often happens).

The real problem here is that most of the security staff has no idea what film is. Cameras are digital. Your shots are stored on a memory card. These things are fine to xray. So what's your problem? What do you mean "light sensitive"? Let's take it out and have a look at it....

Keep your film out of the air transportation system.

Bruce Watson

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Oakley View Post
    Crap like this is why we have opted to leave the EEC.
    Pete.
    Because you think that after the Brexit rules for the airport inspection will become less stringent? Good grief!

So why not carry a sheet of developed film to show them what you have in the box? Maybe a Chrome so it looks nice and colorful? Maybe if they can actually see what you are talking about some of the mystery will be over?
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

multiplex

from what i understand
    there is more radiation bombarding your film IN the plane as you fly 20K feet up, than the scanners emit ..
    ==
    ive travelled from the states to europe bunces and no one but the states will hand inspect your film.
    that said, i have had film travel through these baggage scanners countless times 800+3200 speed
    nothing happens. if this was 1980 i am sure it would be a different thing, but its not.

UMMV
    Last edited by jnantz; 12-Nov-2017 at 05:44. Reason: misread