Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reccomendations for West Texas

Re: Reccomendations for West Texas

Quote Originally Posted by John Jarosz View Post
    But, Big Bend has a wonderful landscape, all you need is light
    That's not the whole story. On the south east corner of BBNP, right across the Rio Grande river, is a small town -- Boquillas del Carmen in Mexico. You can see it from the US side. Lots of people cross over, all the time, every night -- to have dinner in Mexico. Yes, you have to wade across the river -- there is no bridge -- but this time of year it is easy. Bringing LF gear is another story.

Enjoy it while you can, before El Presidente builds "El Pared". Try to imagine where they would put it as you cross the river! Take a picture in the middle of the river -- for historical purposes!

And don't drink so much tequila that you can't get back across El Rio.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    That's not the whole story. On the south east corner of BBNP, right across the Rio Grande river, is a small town -- Boquillas del Carmen in Mexico. You can see it from the US side. Lots of people cross over, all the time, every night -- to have dinner in Mexico. Yes, you have to wade across the river -- there is no bridge -- but this time of year it is easy. Bringing LF gear is another story.

Enjoy it while you can, before El Presidente builds "El Pared". Try to imagine where they would put it as you cross the river! Take a picture in the middle of the river -- for historical purposes!

And don't drink so much tequila that you can't get back across El Rio.
    The wall will be 30 feet high and 20 feet wide so you can ride and walk on it. Designated a National Park they will charge admission and concessionaires will rent electric carts for you to ride on. A tripod Permit will be necessary for you for your LF gear. It will be built and hailed as better than the Great Wall of China!
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Rob Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    I should add, LF cameras are perfectly fine in the places I've listed -- except, POSSIBLY, Carlsbad. National Parks, etc. have rules and regs about professional photographers. 99% of the time this is not a problem, but some "staff" quickly assume that a LF camera means a professional. There is no point in debating with them. Just keep your gear out of sight. I've taken my 4x5 through Lehman Caves in Nevada. They did not have a problem with my gear -- and tripod of course -- but it was a ranger lead tour, so anything other than a snap shot was impossible. Carlsbad is usually not ranger lead, but you need to check with them about the details. Just FYI.
    I was just there a few weeks ago and took my 4x5 in and no problems whatsoever. I shot Velvia 50 and was doing 5 plus minute exposures and one over 10 minutes. When I go back I plan on shooting BW instead. The LED lights in there now are all the same color and gave a very bland color of the structures. BW would give you more detail in the textures. I ended up converting all my shots to BW for display. So do not hesitate to take that LF camera and tripod in at all.

Also Guadalupe Mountain NP is a great place. Some cool trails and great places to shoot.