Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What camera to bring?

What camera to bring?

We are planning to spend 10 days in Lisbon, Madrid, Seville and Barcelona soon. I am debating what camera I should bring.

Choices are:

1. 5x7 with a tripod, great for street and building, but too slow for people shooting
    2. a Graflex super d 4x5 with a monopod. I did this in Tibet, great for people shooting, but not great for buildings.
    3. a rangefinder 45 Saber with a monopod, similar to #2, but lighter.

Are tripods allowed on street or inside churches in Spain?

Thanks.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: What camera to bring?

If it were me, I'd bring my Pentax 645NII with 55-85 zoom lens and Gitzo G0540 tripod. If I had access to an automobile, I'd include the Toyo 45cf w/ 90, 150, and 300mm lens. The cf works with the same tripod and a lLowepro 450 AW runner will carry it all - including on the airplane.

Thomas

I'd take the Saber. I have a Saber and A couple SuperDs also but the Saber is just so much more portable, and decent for people shots in a pinch too.

What Hugo, you're not taking the 16x20?

I'd take something that you can hand hold if you need to. A friend of mine moved to Spain recently. He even ran with the bulls. Bullfighting in arenas is popular there too. I doubt you could use a tripod for those things.

Oh and then there are the topless beaches. Better not take a camera there though!

What camera to bring?

I don’t think I’d use a 4x5 on people in Spain, unless you are unusually charming! Generally people are on the move going places or with family. MF may be portable but there are a lot of tall buildings, churches primarily, that would benefit from movements and some wide lenses since there isn’t always much space to shoot from. Don’t think a tripod would be allowed in the big cathedrals etc, you might get away with it in a smaller local church.

The sheer numbers of tourists especially in Barcelona (year round), Seville (in summer) and not so much in Madrid can make getting a clean building shot pretty hard, or any shot to be honest in LF. I’ve never used LF in Lisbon but having traveled there I can say there are quite a few good places to visit that would work with LF.

In general, you are better off off-season in the winter or spring. You film will also thank you for not being cooked at 110F in summer.

If you want to borrow a 45F1 with accompanying lenses and tripod in Madrid/Spain let me know. Just bring film. We could also go out shooting together if your schedule permits.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    If it were me, I'd bring my Pentax 645NII with 55-85 zoom lens and Gitzo G0540 tripod. If I had access to an automobile, I'd include the Toyo 45cf w/ 90, 150, and 300mm lens. The cf works with the same tripod and a lLowepro 450 AW runner will carry it all - including on the airplane.

Thomas
    Correction: It's the 45-85mm AF zoom lens and not the 55-85mm. The lens is a little weighty at 815 grams but the ergonomics of the 645NII compensates. 55-85mm (35-67mm in 35mm) make it perfect for general and street photography. If I were going to concentrate of fast street photography I'd bring my F6 with 35 - 70mm AF Nikkor 2.8D (675 grams). Arca style QR plates make it a snap to switch to tripod shooting when desirable and having both portrait and landscape plates on the Pentax is the way to go.

Thomas

Angus,

Are you in Spain right now? We are planning to go Madrid in 10-12 days and I will keep in touch with you via email. Only two days in Madrid so not too much time shooting. Maybe we can have a drink?

Ed,

Yes I am leaning to Saber with a monopod. Graflex Super-D is too heavy.

Thomas,

I don't have a Pentax and have not touched my Hasselblad for years.

Thanks.

Andrej Gregov

If you have specific architecture/scenes you want to shoot (as in have a shot list sort of thing), then 5x7 would be great. But if you're just touring around, definitely the Saber. Lugging a tripod plus full LF kit/backpack on public transport etc, is a real drag unless you'll have your own rental car. Also, often as soon as a tripod goes up, so come the security guard types or curious onlookers. Keeping things simple and light is the way to go unless you're on a specific project mission. Have a great trip.

Based on the Tibet results, I vote for the Graflex.
    5x7 is my favorite format, but I wouldn't take that.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

multiplex

+1

Quote Originally Posted by mdarnton View Post
    Based on the Tibet results, I vote for the Graflex.
    5x7 is my favorite format, but I wouldn't take that.