Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: help choosing an 8x10

Re: help choosing an 8x10

I think for the price it could be worth just taking a punt on the intrepid

Quote Originally Posted by Jarvman View Post
    I think for the price it could be worth just taking a punt on the intrepid
    The Intrepid people were on APUG asking opinions before they made their first 4x5. I told them that a budget lightweight 8x10 would be interesting because there is no real competition (price wise) with the used market. Their 4x5's are receiving great reviews. If the 8x10 is like their 4x5 cameras then it could be a great deal. I paid $1500 for my used Wehman and the last ones I seen sold were in the $2000 range. Used Ritters and Chamonixs go for more.

Could always visit Brighton to take a good look at one too

Century Universals are pretty light. Lighter than 'dorff V8s anyway
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

You've already been given some good answers, but let me chime in.

I've owned 4 8x10 cameras - in this order:

Gundlach Korona (similar to Kodak 2D) --- Kodak Century Universal --- Wista (Tachihara) double-extension --- Wehman "Ultralight"

The Korona was actually kind of light, as you've discovered. The Kodak was nice in terms of capabilities but was so heavy. The Wista I bought thinking it was lighter but ended up not being lighter and I decided I didn't like the paper bellows anyway. And finally...the Wehman is perfect for me since I tend to hike long distances. The Wehman is one of only a few "swiss-cheese" models with holes bored out on the bed. Since the extension /cover can be removed and I rarely use longer than a 300mm it is really lightweight at 6.25 pounds. That's almost half the weight of the Wista I had previously. I am able to hoof it farther and with less effort, giving me more opportunity to actually photograph.

You haven't mentioned what you are shooting. You said something about indoor wetplates? Is that what this camera is for? If so, out of the cameras I've had, I would recommend the Kodak Century Universal. It's a little cheaper than modern cameras (under $1000 or maybe a bit more now, haven't checked), is rigid and has lots of extension for closer focusing. For landscape it's the Wehman 100%. Even the "normal" non ultralight one, since you aren't likely to get the UL camera from me or the few other people that own one!

The Intrepid is also very interesting. I'm trying to get my hands on the 4x5 model to try, but haven't yet. The weight for the 8x10 is seriously impressive, as well as the 4x5. And of course the price is good. I would consider getting on their wait list and just use your Korona until you get it. At worst you can resell it for not much less than you got it for.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    You've already been given some good answers, but let me chime in.

I've owned 4 8x10 cameras - in this order:

Gundlach Korona (similar to Kodak 2D) --- Kodak Century Universal --- Wista (Tachihara) double-extension --- Wehman "Ultralight"

The Korona was actually kind of light, as you've discovered. The Kodak was nice in terms of capabilities but was so heavy. The Wista I bought thinking it was lighter but ended up not being lighter and I decided I didn't like the paper bellows anyway. And finally...the Wehman is perfect for me since I tend to hike long distances. The Wehman is one of only a few "swiss-cheese" models with holes bored out on the bed. Since the extension /cover can be removed and I rarely use longer than a 300mm it is really lightweight at 6.25 pounds. That's almost half the weight of the Wista I had previously. I am able to hoof it farther and with less effort, giving me more opportunity to actually photograph.

You haven't mentioned what you are shooting. You said something about indoor wetplates? Is that what this camera is for? If so, out of the cameras I've had, I would recommend the Kodak Century Universal. It's a little cheaper than modern cameras (under $1000 or maybe a bit more now, haven't checked), is rigid and has lots of extension for closer focusing. For landscape it's the Wehman 100%. Even the "normal" non ultralight one, since you aren't likely to get the UL camera from me or the few other people that own one!

The Intrepid is also very interesting. I'm trying to get my hands on the 4x5 model to try, but haven't yet. The weight for the 8x10 is seriously impressive, as well as the 4x5. And of course the price is good. I would consider getting on their wait list and just use your Korona until you get it. At worst you can resell it for not much less than you got it for.
    Thanks for the reply.

I will be using it for both indoor wetplate and landscapes, but mostly I am buying to get back into 8x10" film for plt/pd contact prints

I never take the 8x10" Korona out as I find it too heavy and cumbersome. Especially as the Lowepro backpack I've got to carry it in is an absolute monster too. I'm glad I was alerted to the fact that the Korona is virtually the same weight as a Gibellini, Svedoksky or even a Chamonix. Could have spent a lot of money and discovered the camera was no lighter!

When I do wetplate on loacation with my darkbox and flash units I am using a 5x7" Korona and a Dallmeyer 6D. Absolutely love this combination and the results I am getting with it. However the Korona is starting to fall apart and am on the look out for another 5x7" in better condition. At home I've stopped using my 8x10 for portraiture as my other brass lens doesn't seem to pick up the same amount of texture, not sure why that is. Less DOF imaginably. I've been meaning to try the dallmeyer on whole plate and 8x10" but haven't got round to it yet with it being stuck on a 5x7" korona lens board.

I agree with all the points you raised about the Intrepid. I actually placed an order for one earlier today! I'm really hoping they bring out a 5x7 reducing back too! Then I can use it for both formats of film. Love them 5x7" contact prints too. Also means I can use the ready modified 5x7" film holders i have for wet plate and can use the dallmeyer on both formats without switching lens boards or getting an adaptor board made. yay!

Sounds like a good match for you, especially the reducing back (I am sure you could have one made by someone even if Intrepid don't make one, though that'd be a smart idea, maybe send them a message?).

Have sent them a message on their Facebook page! Requested a 4x10" back too! agreed one could be made easily enough though.

Now only if they made a 11x14"that's lighter than my 11x14" 2-D!

Les

Not shabby for around 5lbs rig, tho it may not have the finesse of some other models available.

http://vdscamera.com/en/letoltheto-i.../termekleiras/

.....Aaand you can get a 5x7 or 4x5 reducer.

Les

The pics under the 8x10 section show two very different cameras. I don't know anything about these, have you used them?

Edit: Found a bit here on the forum by a member/sales agent that I don't really trust. Later comments revealed possible issues with the bellows leaking light.

I assume the older photos are of a "prototype." Newer photo looks like basically a Tachihara rehash with some weight-reducing features. Price seems high to me. But that's just my opinion. I wonder if anyone is actively using this camera on the forum?