Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Ebay - lenses from Japan

Re: Buying Lenses from Japan * Ebay

Quote Originally Posted by RobertJSherman View Post
    I did a handful of searches, before posting - I gots nothing ... perhaps I didn't dig deep deep enough ? :/

Thanks for the answer, though
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ses-from-Japan

Almost identical to your question - you might get better search results using Google than the in house search engine.

Re: Ebay - lenses from Japan

Threads merged.

(1) Yes
    (2) Yes
    (3) mostly good, varies from seller to seller. Be careful with shutters. Ask very specific questions regarding condition if they are not explicitly mentioned.

talk to Kumar on this forum. He has an established reputation for consistently good service

hope this helps

This is an old thread, but I'll throw in my recent experience: This summer I bought a Fujinon 180mm f9 from a Japanese seller. It was described as "mint," but when it arrived it had serious damage to the coating of the front element, and scratches. I had paid a premium for the "mint" condition.
    When I pointed the problem out to the seller, including some pictures of the damage, he apologized and told me to return it for a full refund. He even paid for the return shipping, which as someone pointed out above, is considerably more from US to Japan than Japan to US.
    Then he followed through completely.
    I would buy from that seller again, although maybe with more questions about condition.

The general problem which I observe with Japanese eBayers is that they tend to use "boilerplate" description for items. Although they tend to have quite a good after-sale attitude, sometimes with all that time and hassles spent on returning communications, you just wish they had been more upfront about an item's issues instead of saying everything is Excellent+++.

That's why it's far preferable to buy from Kumar on here...............the feedback that he receives speaks volumes

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzz View Post
    The general problem which I observe with Japanese eBayers is that they tend to use "boilerplate" description for items. Although they tend to have quite a good after-sale attitude, sometimes with all that time and hassles spent on returning communications, you just wish they had been more upfront about an item's issues instead of saying everything is Excellent+++.
    My personal experience is different: all I bought from Japan was perfectly described, generally in very good shape and at good price. Many japanese ebayers have a 100% rating, and this is very difficult to reach if descriptions are not accurate.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xxx.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	197838

This particular one, for example, has 5 stars in "item as described", like many others. The average level in Japan it's simple one of the best, still we may find also bad ebayers there, but to me it's the country I prefer to buy from if not found locally in the EU, avoiding bureocracy.

I have advised eBay sellers to fold at any complaint.

Cheaper in the long run.

I hope I don't sell on eBay ever again.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I hope I don't sell on eBay ever again.
    For a non Pro sellers... an strategy is to place a high price but accepting offers, in that way you may select your buyer, only accepting offers from buyers that have a good reputation.

I won't be selecting buyers

My will is made, all 'stuff' will be sold by Estate sale done by an expert old friend

Cash to the sole heir who is not blood

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    For a non Pro sellers... an strategy is to place a high price but accepting offers, in that way you may select your buyer, only accepting offers from buyers that have a good reputation.
    Tin Can