Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Ebay - lenses from Japan

Re: Ebay - lenses from Japan

I feel a bit hesitant to write this, but I find it odd that folks are commenting on an entire nation's selling habits. Would we say, 'What do you think of USA sellers on eBay?' Cultures do differ, but this just seems odd to me.

I've bought and sold thousands of things on eBay, and have had -- at a guess -- 98% positive experiences. I definitely recall the negative experiences more than the positive ones, and most of them happened early in my eBay experience. I've become, I think, far better at noticing and avoiding poor sellers (some of them crooked; most just ignorant). There are lots of 'tells' that show whom to stay away from. I reported an ad just yesterday, and it was pretty quickly removed. I've often written to folks who had mistakes in their ads, and pretty much all of them responded with thanks.

I've also become more knowledgeable about the things that I am searching for, so can tell, most of the time, if something is what I actually want. Or, if I'm not quite sure, I ask lots of questions. Then, if I still miss something, and the item -- typically a camera or lens -- arrives with issues, sellers are almost always willing to give me a partial refund. I find this especially true of sellers overseas, since return shipping costs are often not worth the effort. Sellers know, or quickly find out, that eBay pretty much always sides with buyers, so getting something is better than getting nothing. Since I repair old cameras, it's usually acceptable to get one that ends up as a parts body. I know that's not true for most buyers.

My biggest problem has not been with sellers, but with buyers. My own ads are way more descriptive and complete than most on eBay because I've learned that this is the best way to avoid buyers who expect perfection and complain when they don't get it. But even this has not been that big a problem. One reason I buy and sell on eBay is that I meet lots of great folks. The few jerks do grate on my faith in people, but they're made up for by the enthusiastic folks who are glad to deal with someone honest and interested in the same things they are.

Of course, this is all just my own thoughts and experiences. If I had seen a post like this at another time, I wouldn't have been so positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    +1 , scrupulously honest and fair.
    I totally agree.
    Near all my MF gear came from Japanese Ebay sellers, most of it brand new at affordable prices.

Paul I think that is a very fair point to make, and of course it is potentially very problematic to start rating countries and people by where they come from and so on. For example, I met a Nigerian photographer who complained about how difficult it was for him to buy and sell gear over the net. That said, there are real cultural differences throughout different nations, and they tend to gravitate around certain norms and standards of behavior. I studied Russian and Japanese history and have lived in both countries, and now I have lived in Iceland for the last ten years. All three countries have quite different attitudes about how to buy and sell goods. If I had to pick one of them to buy from, it would certainly be Japan! I do not mean that as a slight against Iceland, Russia or the US, all of which are also close to my heart. The reason is less about trustworthiness than about the approach towards handling, maintaining and resprenting gear. In Japan it is culturally important to care for objects deeply and maintain them scrupulously. Knives are sharpened and cleaned of patina after every service in restaurants etc. In Iceland, the national motto is "þetta reddast" which means "it will sort itself out". Most have a pretty laid back attitude about things, and the emphasis is more on creativity and independence than on expectation and duty. Gear is functional and used up and then sold on at the best price they can get. I think Russia has had some problems with scamming partially because of a long tradition of prioritizing close relations over those of people they do not know (as was pretty critical if you wanted to flourish in the Soviet period). If you are friends with a Russian they will cut their arm off and hand it to you if you asked them to. All of these are generalizations and do not mean everyone behaves that way, but they are general "flavors" of behavior that you are likely to encounter. Again, just my experiences, certainly not meant to paint with too broad a brush.

Drew Wiley

There is simply a lot more of certain items in Japan than here, and logically quite a number of dealers too. Let's face it - they're major manufacturers of
    cameras and optics. I've had excellent results with Japanese dealers. But like anything else, you need to carefully check descriptions and image details of potential purchases. Mistakes in description do sometimes occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kinzer View Post
    I feel a bit hesitant to write this, but I find it odd that folks are commenting on an entire nation's selling habits. Would we say, 'What do you think of USA sellers on eBay?' Cultures do differ, but this just seems odd to me.

I've bought and sold thousands of things on eBay, and have had -- at a guess -- 98% positive experiences. I definitely recall the negative experiences more than the positive ones, and most of them happened early in my eBay experience. I've become, I think, far better at noticing and avoiding poor sellers (some of them crooked; most just ignorant). There are lots of 'tells' that show whom to stay away from. I reported an ad just yesterday, and it was pretty quickly removed. I've often written to folks who had mistakes in their ads, and pretty much all of them responded with thanks.

I've also become more knowledgeable about the things that I am searching for, so can tell, most of the time, if something is what I actually want. Or, if I'm not quite sure, I ask lots of questions. Then, if I still miss something, and the item -- typically a camera or lens -- arrives with issues, sellers are almost always willing to give me a partial refund. I find this especially true of sellers overseas, since return shipping costs are often not worth the effort. Sellers know, or quickly find out, that eBay pretty much always sides with buyers, so getting something is better than getting nothing. Since I repair old cameras, it's usually acceptable to get one that ends up as a parts body. I know that's not true for most buyers.

My biggest problem has not been with sellers, but with buyers. My own ads are way more descriptive and complete than most on eBay because I've learned that this is the best way to avoid buyers who expect perfection and complain when they don't get it. But even this has not been that big a problem. One reason I buy and sell on eBay is that I meet lots of great folks. The few jerks do grate on my faith in people, but they're made up for by the enthusiastic folks who are glad to deal with someone honest and interested in the same things they are.

Of course, this is all just my own thoughts and experiences. If I had seen a post like this at another time, I wouldn't have been so positive.
    Did anyone witness the suffering from the recent Japanese tsunami after the 9+ earthquake? We saw no one looting even when they were suffering horrifically. Where else in the world would we see that kind of honesty and restraint?

A lot of folks here know this already, but for those who don't...

I lived and worked in Japan from the late 80's to the mid 90's. Somewhere along the way I tricked a lovely young Japanese lady into marrying me (and we're still together 30 years later!!!) I've spoken Japanese at home and at work for over 30 years. I've also had prints in several group shows at the Tokyo Metropolitan Museum of Art.

With that as background, I can say that one characteristic of Japanese in general is that they are kind to their possessions. They don't bang on computer keyboards, or toss stuff around or beat their cars to death, and cleanliness is a national sport. No feet on the table, no walking around eating (they'll stay near a vending machine and properly dispose of their trash in the waste baskets provided) no graffiti. But bicycles and umbrellas are often regarded as sort of community property. There's a reason there are locks on umbrella stands. I discovered this when my wife and I were surprised by showers on leaving a hotel restaurant and I noticed her shaking the locks on the stand. She fessed up that she'd never actually bought an umbrella in her life - just liberated them from an unlocked stand. With few exceptions most people will ride their bike on the sidewalk - bikes are regarded more as pedestrian accessories than as vehicles in their own right.

Anyhow, the general attitude that things like cameras are to be scrupulously maintained results in usually getting gear in very fine condition. Most Japanese are not do-it-yourself types and will usually opt for professional maintenance of their camera gear. When I buy on ebay I actively try to find listings from Japan - I've had very little trouble with them.

Very interesting personal experiences with other cultures!

Just received an SWD 90 from japan. Looks and works like it just came out of its box.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    Just received an SWD 90 from japan. Looks and works like it just came out of its box.
    My swd 90 also came from jp. You will find that this is a great glass, just take great images and enjoy !

Buying Lenses from Japan * Ebay

I'm not asking what lens to buy . . . I am wondering if:

(1) Have you purchased lenses from eBay?

(2) If *yes* Then, did you buy from a seller in Japan?

(3) If *yes* Then, what was your experience?

I'm currently looking to pickup a lens, a starter - a 150 or 180 lens for my camera. So far, it seems like the Japanese sellers
    have quite the selection of lenses . . . and they are all [Mint] or [Top Mint] (I'm kidding, but seriously folks).

I appreciate your thoughts, thanks a bunch.