Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why do my Beseler enlargers have a spacer between heat absorbing glass and condenser?

Re: Why do my Beseler enlargers have a spacer between heat absorbing glass and conden

Now what was my original question?

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, somehow!

Do you think the spacer ring between the heat absorbing glass and the condenser on my Beseler enlargers is to prevent Newton's rings?

Re: Why do my Beseler enlargers have a spacer between heat absorbing glass and conden

No.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    No.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    CB7 is bigger, note the light cones have different paint. Is black better than white paint.
    Thanks for the pictures. It tells me that Beseler's enlarger heads evolved over time. That's not really surprising, but there might be some minor differences that some users might be interested in. One difference, for example, is the height of the condenser head -- some are much taller than others -- which is important if you have a darkroom in the basement, as I do!

My 45 head is black, not blue like yours, and looks more like your CB7 head. It is black on the inside, like yours. My CB7 head is gray, not black like yours, and a little taller than yours, and like yours, is white on the inside. Who knows if mine are earlier or later than yours!

The white on the inside should create more light, and I wonder if it makes more even light! But I have enough things to think about.

If the heat absorbing glass rests against the condenser, and the light is left on too long, for instance 2+ minutes to crop and focus, the condenser is likely to crack. Ask me how I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    If the heat absorbing glass rests against the condenser, and the light is left on too long, for instance 2+ minutes to crop and focus, the condenser is likely to crack. Ask me how I know.
    Thanks for the tip. I wasn't thinking of removing the heat absorbing glass or laying it on top of the condenser. However, it did cross my mind to the POSSIBLE benefit of adding an additional heat absorbing glass, since I do a LOT of long exposures -- like 20 MINUTES -- and avoiding the problems that you have experiences!

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    Thanks for the tip. I wasn't thinking of removing the heat absorbing glass or laying it on top of the condenser. However, it did cross my mind to the POSSIBLE benefit of adding an additional heat absorbing glass, since I do a LOT of long exposures -- like 20 MINUTES -- and avoiding the problems that you have experiences!
    Why a 20 minute exposure for an enlargement?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Why a 20 minute exposure for an enlargement?
    I guess you don't do murals.

I guess you don't do murals.
    Biggest one I ever did was an aerial of the ground from Shaw AFB, SC to Moses Lake, WA. But we never had exposures anywhere near that long.

Lightbulb Re: Why do my Beseler enlargers have a spacer between heat absorbing glass and conden

I do a LOT of long exposures -- like 20 MINUTES
    If you'd use a real enlarger lamp rather than a flashlight, you wouldn't have that problem.

I guess flashlights are the only lights you can use without heat absorbing glass.

Buy some proper equipment and learn how to use it.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.