Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31

Thread: Crazy Movements of View Cameras

  1. #21
    Jac@stafford.net's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Winona, Minnesota
    Posts
    4,079

    Re: Crazy Movements of View Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    A fisheye lens sees 180 degree of the subject, but behind the lens it does not project it 180 degrees.
    I am not sure that is true - especially for miniature (35mm) formats.

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Bellingham, WA (displaced Canadian)
    Posts
    199

    Re: Crazy Movements of View Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    I am not sure that is true - especially for miniature (35mm) formats.
    Especially when it's a 220 degree AoV fisheye for miniature!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRxUc22xfyE

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Sheridan, Colorado
    Posts
    874

    Re: Crazy Movements of View Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    I am not sure that is true - especially for miniature (35mm) formats.
    I can assure you that my Minolta Rokkor-X 16mm f2.8 and 7.5mm f4 fisheyes both see 180 degrees in the front and "compress" it all to produce an image for 24x36mm film. Much like my Mamiya 37mm f4.5 fisheye sees 180 degrees in the front and "compresses" it all to produce an image for 4x5" film. I suppose I could create a fisheye for a submini, as well. Since my Minox has a 15mm lens, it would have to be about a 5mm lens. I'll think about it.

  4. #24
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    5,079

    Re: Crazy Movements of View Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    I am not sure that is true - especially for miniature (35mm) formats.
    A 180-degree fisheye generally illuminates a circle of diameter three times its focal length. I have several examples, including a 30mm Arsat that would make a nice full-circle fisheye on 4x5.

    Rick "a fan of (full frame) fisheyes" Denney

  5. #25
    (Shrek)
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    1,545

    Re: Crazy Movements of View Cameras

    In 25 years and thousands of images taken, I think I've used extreme movements on my B&J exactly once. But I was really happy to have a camera that twisted into a pretzel that day.

  6. #26

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Sheridan, Colorado
    Posts
    874

    Re: Crazy Movements of View Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    A 180-degree fisheye generally illuminates a circle of diameter three times its focal length. I have several examples, including a 30mm Arsat that would make a nice full-circle fisheye on 4x5.

    Rick "a fan of (full frame) fisheyes" Denney
    My 37mm Mamiya Fisheye creates a circle with a diameter of 3.75" -- perfect for 4x5". I assume your 30mm creates an image of about 3.5" at infinity. That's great, too. Have you measured the diameter, by chance? What do you use as a shutter?

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Sheridan, Colorado
    Posts
    874

    Re: Crazy Movements of View Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    In 25 years and thousands of images taken, I think I've used extreme movements on my B&J exactly once. But I was really happy to have a camera that twisted into a pretzel that day.
    I use front standard swing and tilt often in my landscapes, frequently at the same time. Although I would never call any of these movements extreme, I'm more likely to use them with wider lenses which, in my case, the lens IC becomes the limiting factor -- not the camera's abilities. I then have to use some front rise/fall or rear (that's all I have) shift to cover the film.

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Posts
    10,336

    Re: Crazy Movements of View Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    In 25 years and thousands of images taken, I think I've used extreme movements on my B&J exactly once. But I was really happy to have a camera that twisted into a pretzel that day.
    How many of those shots were product shots for catalogs or ads? The common movements used for scenery are different then the movements used when trying to capture the side, front and top of a cereal box while maintaining all of the right angles of the box. Or when shooting a table of jewelry without distortion.

  9. #29
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    5,079

    Re: Crazy Movements of View Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    My 37mm Mamiya Fisheye creates a circle with a diameter of 3.75" -- perfect for 4x5". I assume your 30mm creates an image of about 3.5" at infinity. That's great, too. Have you measured the diameter, by chance? What do you use as a shutter?
    It has never made it past the thought experiment, to be honest. I prefer full-frame fisheyes, and have them for several camera systems, including my Pentax 67.

    Rick "no time for silly projects these days" Denney

  10. #30

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Sheridan, Colorado
    Posts
    874

    Re: Crazy Movements of View Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    It has never made it past the thought experiment, to be honest. I prefer full-frame fisheyes, and have them for several camera systems, including my Pentax 67.

    Rick "no time for silly projects these days" Denney
    I sometimes prefer a full-frame fisheye, and I can still get that by cropping my 4x5" circular fisheye image down to a 70x70mm square or whatever rectangle I want. The results are still great because the Mamiya lens is great. There is an example in my article:

    www.subclub.org/fujinon/gonefishin.pdf

Similar Threads

  1. New to the movements of view cameras
    By dikaiosune01 in forum Style & Technique
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 7-Dec-2010, 16:17
  2. Importance of Swing and other movements in LF Cameras
    By audioexcels in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 7-Jan-2009, 16:45
  3. Yaw? Going crazy between focus, movements, focus etc etc
    By Matt Day in forum Style & Technique
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 23-Aug-2007, 21:14
  4. When did cameras get full movements?
    By Gene McCluney in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-May-2007, 08:13
  5. View camera movements : monorail vs folding cameras for architecture purposes
    By Jean-Louis Llech in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 23-Sep-1999, 19:06

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •