Thread: BERGGER Prestige VARIABLE NB

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

BERGGER Prestige VARIABLE NB

Hi all,

I've done a search here on the forum and Google, and can't find many user reviews on the Bergger Prestige VC NB paper. Has anyone out there used or tested it? I've got two boxes of 11x14" gloss and so far I like it, although have a suspicion that it's quite a soft / subtle tonal range paper. I've been split grade printing – although to be honest I'm no master – and things look good, but are perhaps not as punchy as say the higher end Ilford FB gloss papers. I'm developing in Ilford Multigrade Paper Developer, if that matters, and wondered what others think of this combination? Am I right in my suspicions? I interested to hear anyones opinions, really. And advise is always appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim

Re: BERGGER Prestige VARIABLE NB

I'll add, what development times are people using for this paper?
    The Bergger data sheet recommends 1,5 – 2m " at 20 degrees Cin any good paper developer." Today I used Ilford Multigrade at 1+9 dilution, developed as recommended by Bergger, but Ilford's documentation states 2min recommended, up to 6min. I've seen one reciew stating that this paper / dev combo seems to work best at 2min, at least with prints that aren't to be toned. Long story short, I'll check my dry prints tomorrow and get a sense of how good or bad my technique and methods were...

Quote Originally Posted by Tim V View Post
    I'll add, what development times are people using for this paper?
    The Bergger data sheet recommends 1,5 – 2m " at 20 degrees Cin any good paper developer." Today I used Ilford Multigrade at 1+9 dilution, developed as recommended by Bergger, but Ilford's documentation states 2min recommended, up to 6min. I've seen one reciew stating that this paper / dev combo seems to work best at 2min, at least with prints that aren't to be toned. Long story short, I'll check my dry prints tomorrow and get a sense of how good or bad my technique and methods were...
    Hello Tim,

Usually prints are developed to completion, so you develop until no density is built anymore. Minimum time depends on developer, dilution you use, if the developer is fresh or used, and temperature (usually trays do not keep exact temp). So you can take some exposed paper strips and see at what development time there is no further darkening, and then give an additional margin.

What I'd recommend is to take things in the technical way, this is taking a cheap luxmeter and an Stouffer density wedge, and then plotting/calibrating the curves for the papers you use with different working grades.

The book I follow for that is "Beyond The Zone System", a must have, used is found very cheap.

You will learn how the toe and shoulder are shaped in every case, and then this will give light to the practical results you obtain, allowing to understand very well how a paper works.

A negative (and an scene) may contain more dynamic range than a paper can show, in that case you usually have to compress shadows and lights in the shoulder and in the toe of the print, and reserving a wide enough grey scale range for your mids. IMHO the best way to know a paper is calibrating it, just to know how long are their shoulder-toe.

Once the tonal scale is controlled one can make a particular paper more cold or more warm toned, se here page 78, Paper Tone manipulation: http://www.ssnpstudents.com/wp/wp-co...m-Cookbook.pdf

I'm learning darkroom printing, I just tell what is working for me.

Regards,
    Pere

Today I used Ilford Multigrade at 1+9 dilution
    I have no experience with this developer, but I have been taught to mix stronger solutions of 1:4 in general (except WT developer).
    But this technique makes no sense to once-in a- year printers.

It will increase lifetime during the printing session, and this will give better results.
    Concerning costs of stronger dilutions it becomes more effective to replenish half of the used developer ( directly after the session for "self-repairing" effect).
    By the way, replenished developer has its own advantages.

Pere, I couldn't believe this often heard "no difference" theme.
    So I have made a comparism of 4 developers.
    Differences are small, that's right, but of course there are some differences.
    After this comparism I changed my standard developer..

Ritchie

Or you can use more dilute developer 1:15 if only doing a few sheets in a session and treat as one shot. Also more dilute developer takes longer so you can observe the changes to the image and pull out earlier if desired. I have noticed with the Bergger CB warm tone paper that there is a point at which the black suddenly gets noticeably richer.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Bergger USA

Tim,

Paper is developed according to a basic and recurring formula.
    Measure the length of time from inserting the paper to the developer until the very first image appears, then multiply by 5.
    In most RC papers you will find the result to be a total of 90 seconds, for Fibre papers, the result will usually be between 2 and 5 minutes.
    It's hard to "over" develop paper, so its ok to err on the side of caution and leave it for a short while longer.

Good luck!

ADM / Bergger USA

Thanks all for your help! Good results yesterday, I'm slowly improving my technique...

I wonder too about Bergger's own paper developer, their Neutral Print Paper Developer. Anyone tried it and does it give any better results than Ilford Multigrade Paper Dev? I know about the differences in film developers, but never given any thought to paper developers...

Thanks all for your help! Good results yesterday, I'm slowly improving my technique...

I wonder too about Bergger's own paper developer, their Neutral Print Paper Developer. Anyone tried it and does it give any better results than Ilford Multigrade Paper Dev? I know about the differences in film developers, but never given any thought to paper developers...
    Hello Tim,

IMHO in general paper developer you use has way less importance than in the case of film developer. Normally you develop until completion, and grain from paper is very fine, so result is always near the same. Some special developers do manipulate a little paper warmness...

I use Dektol or Eukobrom, because I judged the more environmentally friendly. But the developer you mention should work perfectly.

Regards

Thanks again, guys.

I'm getting great results now and am very impressed with the Bergger paper. Beautifully deep blacks and white, whites. The limitation is my printing skills, where practice makes perfect.