Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering a Toyo 45g

Considering a Toyo 45g

I see a lot of Toyo 45g's on Ebay from Japan. (I live near Seattle). I was hoping I could get some input as to how versatile these cameras are. I know its a mono rail camera and not a field camera but I was wondering about its flexibility as far as extension rails, bag bellows, viewing hoods and the like.

Mainly are all Toyo accessories compatible with this camera.

Also, will I experience any import issues buying from Japan, duty and stuff like that?

I sold my last view camera about 25 years ago. I do not remember the model but it was a Toyo very similar to the 45G's. The Main difference being it did NOT have interchangeable bellows.
    That camera looked like this,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00Jfhm-34606384.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	171461

Re: Considering a Toyo 45g

Most Toyo accessories are fully compatible among the various models, including the earlier Deluxe and D models. The earlier models used a thinner diameter rail, so rails and standards are different. Bellows, lens boards, backs are all compatible.

There is no customs duty on photographic items (at least for individuals) imported into the US.

Kumar

I have a Toyo 45C and have generally been very happy with it. The only thing I would say is that the synthetic bellows on these cameras is very susceptible to pinholes so factor that in to any buying decision. It is straightforward to replace them however and new pattern bellows from China (easy to find on Ebay) are not that expensive.

As to import fees, etc.; since these are used cameras, you don't often have to pay them on used equipment. I've bought thousands of dollars of used equipment from Japanese dealers, and I've never paid a penny on import duties.

The Japanese tend to underrate their equipment as far as condition goes. I bought a Mamiya 645 Pro TL described as "good condition", and it looked like it had never had a frame through it.

Domestically they're similar to KEH as far as grading goes.
    Best,
    Dennis

I started not long ago with LF and the camera I bought is a Toyo G series 4x5.
    I think it's a great camera, and there seem to be endless ways of adding extensions, bellows and other stuff.
    My camera came with two rails, so I can use one for regular work, and add the second rail for close-up or macro work.
    The accessories are darn cheap, too, but the quality isn't cheap; it's really well-made, built like a moose!
    JLR

John Olsen

Quote Originally Posted by Carography View Post
    I see a lot of Toyo 45g's on Ebay from Japan. (I live near Seattle). I was hoping I could get some input as to how versatile these cameras are. I know its a mono rail camera and not a field camera but I was wondering about its flexibility as far as extension rails, bag bellows, viewing hoods and the like.

Mainly are all Toyo accessories compatible with this camera.

Name:	00Jfhm-34606384.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	171461
    As noted above, there are lots of accessories, including bag bellows and filter holders. I think your picture is an older model. Mine is a G-II and it has angle measures on the swings and tilts, generally looking a little more upscale. It's very solid, works smoothly and is rugged enough to carry (disassembled) in a backpack.

This is mine of 2006 vintage:

Name:	Toyo G-II.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	171465

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Since you are after a monorail, I'd also consider the Toyo GX. It's Toyo's best rail camera to date and while not as plentiful as the GII they do pop up used at a relatively good price ($400 in excellent condition). I own its predecessor the ROBOS and can vouch for it.

http://toyoview.com/Products/45GII_45GX/45GII_45GX.html

Thomas
    Last edited by tgtaylor; 2-Nov-2017 at 12:03.

About 30 years ago I had a Toyo 45E that was like the one in the OP's photo. I have a 45D now and would like to find a 45G because prices are low and affordable. They have almost everything I'd ever need. As I remember the 45G was the top of the line until the 45GII, 45GX and VX series arrived.

I've had a 45A Field camera for 30 years but find still lifes and static setups easier with the 45D monorail camera. Toyo has many interchangeable parts and adapters that I appreciate.

The differences between the Toyo G and GII are the all-black appearance and the rubber covered knobs. Both are the same in all other respects. The GX adds base tilts, while the Robos is similar to the Sinar P.

Kumar

John Olsen

Kumar: Is the OP's photo a G or not? There are several structural differences from the G-II in my photo above, more than just rubber knobs.