Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fujinon W f6.5 360mm vs Nikkor W f6.5 360mm

Re: Fujinon W f6.5 360mm vs Nikkor W f6.5 360mm

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    Almost, but not quite. Some EBC coated lenses were marked INSIDE the filter ring:

www.subclub.org/fujinon/
    Thanks, I learned something new today!

Drew Wiley

Fuji lenses are every bit as good as German lenses or Nikkors. Price differences were more due to company import policy and exchange rates. At one point, when the Yen was low and the Mark was high, I sold my German lenses and replaced them with Fujis and Nikkors. Present used lens pricing just reflects price and demand, and what sellers imagine they can get, and that fluctuates. Some lens formulas changed over the years as specialty glass types became restricted. Copal shutters never seem good at the very highest speed; but nobody uses that anyway. I have Copal black shutters, silver shutters, and even old 3s ones. They're all well within a third of a stop at all other speeds. But I use a shutter tester and avoid funky-looking bargain lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    But I use a shutter tester and avoid funky-looking bargain lenses.
    What Drew? No Jim Galli budget soft focus lenses for you?

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

I agree with you about owning a shutter speed tester. They are useful!

Having spotted a couple of scratches on the glass on the photos of the Fuji, and having it confirmed by the seller, who amended their ebay listing to suit, i ended up buying a Nikkor W f6.5 360mm. Wow, this thing is a beast and i can't wait to try it out.
    Small problem i have is that it was supplied on a thick hardwood Deardoff board which is too large for my Wilderness V.
    I think the lens will just about fit on a Linhof board but i need to make a Copal 3 spacer ring to make up the difference between the old wooden board and the modern cast aluminium Shen Hao boards.
    I do have a spacer ring on my Apo-Symmar 240mm but, so i don't have to strip it down, wondered if anyone had the correct dimensions of these rings so i can make one up on my lathe.

thanks ...Sweep

Quote Originally Posted by Sweep View Post
    Wow, this thing is a beast and i can't wait to try it out.
    I seem to recall saying that! L

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I can say the Fujis are excellent lenses, and despite the price difference, are at least the equal of Nikons.
    I agree.

I own a few Fujis and a few Nikkors. They all are excellent.
    (Most of my lenses are APO-Sironar_S)

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

I've shot with several Nikkor and Fujinon lenses of the same focal lengths over the years. Have found that that the Fujinons cover a bit more than the Nikkors but the Nikkors are a tad bit sharper (but not enough to matter unless you are making 20x24" prints, and even then the difference is hard to tell). Nikkors a bit more contrasty but again the difference is hard to notice. Once shot 4x5 chromes of the same scene with a 210mm Nikkor and a 210mm Fujinon, and side by side on a light box they were both equally sharp, but one was a few cc's different than the other, but not enough to matter by any means. My 210mm Fujinon now resides with my 8x10 and my 210mm Nikkor resides with my whole plate... each just feels right for their format.... a very, very subjective opinion on my part.
    Last edited by Greg; 9-Dec-2017 at 17:10. Reason: forgot thought

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    I seem to recall saying that! L
    Indeed you did Luis. Indeed you did
    My decision for the Nikon eventually came down to what was available and the fact that the lower cost, silver shutter ring, Fuji had a front element scratch; something that i would never be happy with.
    I could have bought an older Schneider or Rodenstock a lot cheaper in Europe, one finished on Ebay yesterday in England for £250 with no bids, but these have even larger front element diameters with, i believe, 112mm filter thread which would not work with my Lee 100 system.
    Anyway, chuffed to bits with the pristine condition of the lens.

...Sweep

I just know how big my 355 G-Claron is, and the plasmat is even bigger! My 12" & 14" Dagors are much smaller! In fact, my 12" Dagor is my most used lens in 8x10 or 10x8! The 12" KCE is also smaller. But again, the 14" plasmats make great paperweights and door stoppers when not in use!

I have just made a risk assessment for when i use the Nikon and think it would be sensible to wear steel toe-capped boots in case i drop the thing