Thread: M-Componon f4 80mm lens

M-Componon f4 80mm lens

I wasn't sure if this should be posted in this forum or the lens forum, but since it came with an enlarger and mounted on a Beseler board I figure more info might be here. The aperture ring is marked 1,2,4,8,16,32. From what I found on a quick search was it appears to be a macro lens? How and why would you use this lens in a darkroom? It seems to be kind of rare. I checked ebay for completed and current and there are none.

Schneider M-Componon f4 80mm

I also posted this in the darkroom forum but I will ask it here also. It came with darkroom items I bought and it appears to be hard to find. I guess it's for macro or copying, but have no idea how and why it would be used in a darkroom.

Re: Schneider M-Componon f4 80mm

Macro lens. Not at all useful for enlarging.

Why would someone mount it on a Beseler 4x5 enlarger board?

It will work, but if you want to use it as an enlarging lens, you'll need to reverse it -- and figure out how to get the f-stop ring on the outside of the bellows. It can be done.

Re: M-Componon f4 80mm lens

It's not rare, but it is unusual. It is a reversed 80mm Componon enlarging lens designed for use on a large format camera and shutter. Just reverse it again and you can use it as an enlarging lens -- but you'll have to figure out how to get the "f-stop" ring on the outside -- with step-up/down rings -- and convert the non-standard Schneider numbers. That would be awkward, for sure, but do-able, for sure.

Re: M-Componon f4 80mm lens

Threads merged.