Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Intrepid 8x10"

Re: Intrepid 8x10"

Ben Horne has posted some initial thoughts on the camera:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYAE8QD0Z5o

Anyone using this camera with wide lenses? I am curious to know if a 120mm can be used without the bed entering the frame, as I read the back standard cannot be moved. Thanks

Now that I’m two months further along with my Intrepid 8x10, I thought I’d pass along a few things I’ve found. Please keep in mind that these comments relate only to my particular camera and may not even represent an average.

1) When I lift the rear standard to open the camera and the upper two knobs fall into their respective detents in the struts, the back is not necessarily perpendicular to the base; there seems to be quite a bit of “play” with regard to the size of the screw and the half-moon slot it goes into.

2) When I screw down the front standard to the base, the vertical metal struts are most definitely not perpendicular to the base; not even close honestly.

3) When I set the front standard to what looks like a vertical position aligning along the metal struts, it’s not vertical (see #2.) Once I have it in a perfectly vertical position, it looks like I’m applying a bit of front forward tilt to the lens when looking at the camera from the side.

The whole front standard issue doesn’t concern me nearly as much as the rear standard. To resolve all this when setting up the camera, I bought a 10” plastic 90 degree triangle that I keep in my camera pack. When setting up, I use the triangle to ensure everything is square. It’s a couple extra steps, but worth it for the portability of this camera.

Bottom line...I’m still glad I have it. It’s not as precise as my Deardorff, but a WHOLE lot easier to carry in a backpack!

I'd say those are fair comments, based on my experience. I find pulling the back into the detents helps, and it seems square enough. I am happy to have the rear tilt, so I will forgive the zeroing issue.

You cannot use the 5x4 reducing back with a 90mm lens. The rear-most standard mounting for the front standard is about right for 110mm. Out of curiosity I made a little wooden adapter to let me mount the front standard behind the normal rear-most point, and I can get a 90mm on, but it is significantly bellows limited. So the Wista 5x4 still has an edge there.

On the plus side, I have a plywood internal mask that lets me do 4x10 or 5x8 without modified dark slides.

I would like to see captive screws for the adjustments. There's a risk of loss in the long grass. Maybe they should include a spare with the camera.

I'm happy - if it encourages me to get out more, it is worth it.

I noticed that vertical on the back is off a bit on mine, too, but it doesn't matter to me because I don't use levels, which never seem precise enough, but rather move to the side and set vertical visually. If the front were off on mine, I'd try to straighten it out by laying tape under the front or back edge of the bottom strip. I did scrape out just a bit o material from the center of that strip so that the ends would come down more securely, preventing the front from rotating too easily. Just a couple of thousands of an inch of material removed..... literally thousandths--sufficed.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Patterson View Post
    I would like to see captive screws for the adjustments. There's a risk of loss in the long grass. Maybe they should include a spare with the camera.
    Oh, yeah, forgot about that one! I had one of the knobs on the front standard tilt fall off while the camera was in the pack, and it rolled off into the grass while I was setting it up. Luckily, it was easy to see so no problem. Maybe I'll e-mail Max and suggest selling a "knob bag" so we'll have spares.

For the knobs where the washer is fixed to the knob, I think I am going to put a loop of thread around it and tie it off to the camera. That way I can rotate the knob, but hedge against my natural clumsiness.

Got both of the Intrepid large format cameras. They have good use for creative camera workshops I have been running in Perú.
    They are light weight and easy to carry. Nevertheless there are few details on both of the cameras that make their use very fragil.
    No question on mounting heavy lenses. The lightest will be better !
    The 4x5 camera rear does not offer any interest. No movs. and uncomfortable to insert film holders (so, take your time...).
    As for the 8x10 rear movs. are restricted, something like Ritters ULF cameras rear movements could be adapted on the Intrepid to bring versatility.
    I have adapted very easily a home made 5x7 camera back and seems worthily !
    I got the impression that Intrepid Co. will make some progress, they are open to any "positive" suggestions coming from buyers.
    This is a large format camera to be enjoyed !!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Intrepid-8x10.jpg   Intrepid-4x5.jpg