Thread: The Story Behind Albert Watson’s Portrait of Steve Jobs

The Story Behind Albert Watson’s Portrait of Steve Jobs

Jobs didn’t look immediately at Watson, but looked instead at the set-up and then focused on Watson’s 4×5 camera “like it was something dinosauric,” Watson recalls, “and he said, ‘Wow, you’re shooting film.

“I said, ‘I don’t feel like digital is quite here yet.’ And he said, ‘I agree,’ then he turned and looked at me and said, ‘But we’ll get there.’
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy

Re: The Story Behind Albert Watson’s Portrait of Steve Jobs

What strikes me as most important about what Watson has said pertains to his ability to establish a relationship with the subject. The camera and technique is secondary in that no matter how good that is, if you can't get the subject to relax with the camera you'll have trouble achieving a reflection that reveals the person.

I've watched a lot of photographers work over the years. And those who photograph people well have a way to get to them. If there was one technique I wish I could improve -- people skills would be it.
    Steve Williams
    Scooter in the Sticks

Empathy and understanding goes a long way in making a connection. When I watch talk shows, I listen to the host more than the guest -pretend to be a talk show host.
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy

For some strange reason I have difficulty making the connection with a still camera. I used to do video interviews for documentary films and had no problem getting people to open up. But with the still camera, particularly 35mm or digital, I kind of am in a rush that I need to get out of. Plenty still to learn.
    Steve Williams
    Scooter in the Sticks