Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Considering a Toyo 45g

Re: Considering a Toyo 45g

The OP's camera looks like the budget Toyo 45E. It was sold under the Omega brand name in the US.

Kumar

Studio Madbird

I loved my toyo G, but moved to a smaller field camera. If you ever can make it down to Portland, it's sitting on consignment at the always-fun-to-visit Blue Moon Camera in St Johns neighborhood.

This is my 45G, which is a superb camera. Everything is geared and has beautiful locks to ensure that once you set something, it stays that way.

This is with a 65mm lens (mounted to a recessed board) and standard bellows, doable, but a bag bellows would really be neat.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fujinon_65_on_Toyo_45GA_004.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	171500

This is with a Komura 400T. If you look carefully you can see the 45 G on the bottom front plate.

Note the scales on the sides, as you go up the scale you see the 5x7 and 8x10 marks for neutral positioning of the lens.

Name:	Berlebach_003.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	171499

I used both 4x5" and 8x10" versions of these cameras around 28 years ago in a studio environment; never thought I would be able to afford one of these beautiful cameras at a rock bottom price.

Mick.

Well, I'm back in the large format club. Just bought a 45g from ebay. On its way from Japan.
    This photo was from the eBay ad.

Name:	toyo 45g.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	171570
    Question #1: What lens board fits on the lens board in the photo, or do I have to wait till it gets here to tell?

Thanks to everyone who replied to this post. Your input was very helpful.

I am very excited. I have lots of decisions and $hopping to do. I'm going to start by finding a 210mm lens. Ill be searching and posting for more answers.

Technika.

Look at the previoous post of mine with the photo of my 45G with the telephoto lens on; you can just make out the Technika name. That is possibly the best way to mount lenses on several cameras as I do.

Below is my Fujinon 90mm lens mounted onto a Technika type board. It is fitted to my Shen Hao 4x5 wooden folder and then my Toyo 45G.

Mick.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20170124_170413.jpg   IMG_20170124_164558.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Carography View Post
    Well, I'm back in the large format club. Just bought a 45g from ebay. On its way from Japan.
    This photo was from the eBay ad.

Name:	toyo 45g.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	171570
    Question #1: What lens board fits on the lens board in the photo, or do I have to wait till it gets here to tell?

Thanks to everyone who replied to this post. Your input was very helpful.

I am very excited. I have lots of decisions and $hopping to do. I'm going to start by finding a 210mm lens. Ill be searching and posting for more answers.
    Toyo made two adapter boards. One for toyo field boards and one for linhof boards. Hard to say from the photo. You can always take the adaptor out and use Toyo View boards which are cheaper than the smaller boards anyway.

That is a Technika adapter. You can see the angles at the bottom left and right.

Toyo also made adapter boards for Speed Graphic boards (used on the Toyo Super Speed Graphic). In addition to the flat boards shown above, they also made recessed adapter boards for all three. These make it super easy to use wide angle lenses on the Toyo. I have all these boards available.

Kumar

Studio Madbird

One accessory I found really useful was a toyo monocular finder, kind of a giant loupe that clips onto the gg/back so you can see the whole glass magnified without a dark cloth. Oh, so many accessories to consider!