Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Light Leaks? First time ever...

Re: Light Leaks? First time ever...

A seriously leaking holder (crack/split) can cause a problem even before it's inserted in the camera, obviously.

I've inspected the holder and I don't see any cracks.

I also believe they are the film holders. Even the film rebates with ID markings were affected. I have taken a small LED light and the holder into a darkroom. Shine the light inside the film area and look on the exterior surfaces of the holder, and then the opposite with the light from outside and examining light leaks inside where the film is. Also check the dark slides. I've had very thin dark slide cracks that were very hard to notice, and use a flashlight behind the dark slide in a darkroom while you warp and bend it slightly.

If you don't find anything, do the same approach but with the 8x10 back and a film holder in a darkroom. Shine the flashlight into every corner and edge and look for stray light coming or going where it shouldn't be. Look for a small foreign object that may cause a tiny gap between the film holder and camera back.

When you find a bad dark slide, or film holder - mark it conspicuously, and throw it away or dispose it so that it never gets back into your work flow.

These methods have worked for me in crazed exasperation with light leaks.

Turns out it was my Harrison Film Changing Tent.

Some of the black rubbery lightproof coating which is on the 2nd layer of the armholes section began flaking off and leaking light through.

Oh well!

Glad you found your problem. Also, this is a good reminder for us to check every stage of the process when trying to diagnose a light-leak. I was stuck at the post-loading part...

Best,

Doremus

Quote Originally Posted by johnmsanderson View Post
    Some of the black rubbery lightproof coating which is on the 2nd layer of the armholes section began flaking off and leaking light through.
    I remember when, many years ago, I discovered the same thing happening to my first changing bag while out in the wilderness. It was a complete surprise to me, when I removed my hands and found them covered in large, black, rubbery flakes! But I was lucky because it was early in the morning and not very bright outside. For the rest of the hike, I changed my film at night, so I suffered no loss. I, of course, bought a new bag, but learned that they wear out from age and use, etc. Maybe some last longer than others, but I think I'll check mine -- TODAY!!!!

Thanks for the unintended tip/warning.

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    Glad you found your problem. Also, this is a good reminder for us to check every stage of the process when trying to diagnose a light-leak. I was stuck at the post-loading part...

Best,

Doremus

So much can go wrong with LF, but then again so much can go great.

Hi. My dear wife loaded and exposed some velvia to capture the fall colors on my father's mountain house.

However, something bad happened. On all the picture she took after loading and exposing the film.

Could you diagnose the cause of it? (I suspect unproper loading)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails file1510685901209.jpg   file1510685949985.jpg  

I suspect you're right about improper loading, but there appears to be another issue as well. The first image shows on the left edge what looks like a film rail at the film's entry point - which indicates, since the image is right side up, that the holder was inserted into the film back from the bottom. This could indicate that the darkslide locks, if present, are loose and allowing the darkslide to open somewhat during handling prior to exposure; but I think it is more likely caused by loading the film under one rail but not the other rail. This would prevent proper closure of the darkslide into the flap. Both images seem to be affected by this same mishap. Also, in the second image at the top left, there is what looks like a partial shape of a pentagonal aperture opening resulting in overall lens flare (consistent with the direction of the tree's shadows). So the lens was not shaded during exposure. Both images suffer from the lens flare.

Quote Originally Posted by johnmsanderson View Post
    Turns out it was my Harrison Film Changing Tent.

Oh well!
    Wow, that's good sleuthing!
    --