Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Putting 4x5 film holders in checked in luggage

Re: Putting 4x5 film holders in checked in luggage

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    I've not had trouble in the past with ISO 100 to ISO 400 film go through CARRY ON xray several times. I would not put film into one of those lead bags as the operator will be tempted to simply dial up the power until the xray penetrates the bag. I put only cheap, replaceable camera gear into checked bags. Theft seems to be rampant (maybe not in Japan?)

Kent in SD
    Operators can't dial up the power, it's fixed. A lead bag may get your bag pushed to one side for a hand check though, if that happens one of two things is likely to occur, either it'll be swabbed for explosives (good), or it'll just be taken out of the lead bag and run through the xray machine again (potentially not good) - in the UK they just run it back through.

Japan has many options for choices of, and buying film there, so you might do some research... Bring a changing bag, or find a closet there...

Bring boxed films and carry-on film... Most medium speed films will not fog in most carry-on scans, and if hand checking, sometimes they will and sometimes they won't depending on staffing and hour of boarding... Don't use the lead bags in checked luggage, as they will pull the bag to inspect the luggage, and these days, not everyone knows that a box of film or holders shouldn't be opened in the light (despite warning labeling all over it), or X-rayed to hell, so a lead bag can flag and possibly delay your luggage and subject it to additional X-rays until they figure it out it's film inside...

Don't sweat it too much, but arrive for your flight very early so they have plenty of time to do their official thing right...

Have a great trip!!!

Steve K

In summary, you are on your own. I've never had problems in the US because I'm prepared. I always carry:

#1: My film in lead bags
    #2: In carry-on luggage
    #3: Request hand inspection
    #4: A copy of the FAA RULES

Remember the Boy Scout motto: BE PREPARED

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    I don't know how I could have forgot to mention this. At least a few companies, like SIMA, made LEAD-LINED pouches/bag of various sizes. Just get one or more of these. They are not expensive. The largest I have would probably hold a dozens typical 4x5 film holders. Security will probably ask to inspect the bag -- since they can't see through it -- and then you will get a hand inspection, no matter what country you are in!
    The last time I used one of those, albeit quite a long time ago, the contents were emptied from the bag and they were all put on the belt for x-ray examination. Not quite the "hand inspection" that was hoped for. Haven't wasted the time with a lead bag ever since.

Every time Security has wanted to examine anything of mine -- in MANY cities -- they have ALWAYS asked me first. It's those damn Search & Seizure laws, I guess. But I've always thought that life in L.A. was "different" in some way. Now I know!

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Every time Security has wanted to examine anything of mine -- in MANY cities -- they have ALWAYS asked me first. It's those damn Search & Seizure laws, I guess. But I've always thought that life in L.A. was "different" in some way. Now I know!
    You may be reading too much into what wasn't written. Assumptions...

I've ALWAYS been asked too, in LA and MANY other cities, including OCONUS. The choice was put it on the belt or take it away (or let them dispose of it). I'm okay with that... when/if they honor the request to hand inspect I gladly accept but if not I've never had the film I choose to use harmed. Hand inspection is not a right, but a privilege that TSA/etc. has an option to honor or not. I'm okay with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Even when you are using X-Ray film?

What is the reality with x-raying the X-ray film?
    X-ray film is exposed by light, not x-rays. An x-ray machine uses x-rays to excite a light emitting substance which then exposes the film.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Hand inspection is not a right, but a privilege that TSA/etc. has an option to honor or not. I'm okay with that.
    You really need to get a copy of the hand inspection RULES from the FAA. Hand inspection is a RIGHT, not a privilege. I don't know where you got that idea! And, yes, it takes more time, but that is your choice.

You really need to get a copy of the hand inspection RULES from the FAA. Hand inspection is a RIGHT, not a privilege. I don't know where you got that idea! And, yes, it takes more time, but that is your choice.
    It might be your right in an American Airport.....................try pulling that line on the security in Kashmir, Jakarta, Moscow and Glasgow ........and see what happens
    Come and see what I have done up and until now at www.neilsphotography.co.uk

FYI, the FAA refers to the US Federal Aviation Administration, as I have clearly stated in my earlier posts on this thread. Whatever happens in Burkina Faso, or any other odd location you want to drag up, is out of my bailiwick.