Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Putting 4x5 film holders in checked in luggage

Re: Putting 4x5 film holders in checked in luggage

Quote Originally Posted by JMO View Post
    At the Japan end, typically at Narita Airport (but I’m sure all others), the security people are familiar with hand checking film, and do it readily - with a smile in my experience. ....
    In Britain, at Gatwick, asking for hand inspection will bring you a brisk response - no way! With no smile at all.

Here is what I am going to do;
    I will load one film holder with one sheet of Ektar and one sheet of HP5+ and check that in with the remaining 11 empty film holders. I will carry the unexposed film in my hand carry and put that through the airport x ray machine. When I arrive in Japan I will load the film holders using either a changing bag or the hotel bathroom if its light safe. After exposing the film I will unload the film holders and put the exposed film in a empty film box and put that in my hand carry.

The two sheets of film that went in the hold will also go in the hold on the way home and I will report back how those guinea pig sheets of film turned out..................fogged or not??

Neil
    Come and see what I have done up and until now at www.neilsphotography.co.uk

According to Kodak, the higher the ISO the more likely that fogging will occur. It also depends on the number of X-rays it is "exposed" to, and the strength of the X-rays varies, apparently quite a bit, from machine to machine, country to country, as well as transport service to transport service. Some shutterbugs just buy new film -- of whatever format -- when they arrive at their destination and have it processed there, but running tests is a great idea if that is an option and especially if it is a trip you frequently make.

Drew Wiley

I'd also be concerned about potential damage or theft to anything checked in.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

The Lowepro AW 350 Pro Runner is well within carry-on specs (I know because I fly with it) and will hold a Nikon F6 with 3 lens and a Toyo 45CF with several lens as well, including a laptop/tablet, dark cloth, passport, etc., and also holders if you don't go overboard on the lens. The Toyo folds with the normal attached and a 90mm Nikon f8 and Nikon 300M are small and easily pack with the lensboard attached. Lens for the 35mm are small and 3 well chosen lens is sufficient. I use a Gitzo GT 0540 series 0 CF tripod with Wimberley arca style BH with QR plates attached on the cameras when traveling/hiking with this set-up or Pentax 645NII. I have flown with the tripod attached to the pack (Cushioned wrap to protect the head from damage) but had to take it off the pack to fit in the overhead or under the seat. To satisfy airport security you may have to take the tripod in the checked luggage.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...84826049069805

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._series_0.html

Thomas

I don't know how I could have forgot to mention this. At least a few companies, like SIMA, made LEAD-LINED pouches/bag of various sizes. Just get one or more of these. They are not expensive. The largest I have would probably hold a dozens typical 4x5 film holders. Security will probably ask to inspect the bag -- since they can't see through it -- and then you will get a hand inspection, no matter what country you are in!

Andy Eads
    Pasco, Washington - the dry side of the state

Quote Originally Posted by ndwgolf View Post
    Here is what I am going to do;
    I will load one film holder with one sheet of Ektar and one sheet of HP5+ and check that in with the remaining 11 empty film holders. I will carry the unexposed film in my hand carry and put that through the airport x ray machine. When I arrive in Japan I will load the film holders using either a changing bag or the hotel bathroom if its light safe. After exposing the film I will unload the film holders and put the exposed film in a empty film box and put that in my hand carry.

The two sheets of film that went in the hold will also go in the hold on the way home and I will report back how those guinea pig sheets of film turned out..................fogged or not??

Neil
    You might enhance the value of the test by taping a coin to both sides of the checked film holder. If the x-rays are strong enough to fog, you will see the image of the coin on the processed film. You might even be able to tell the direction of the x-ray though it would be impossible to know how your bag was oriented. You might want to do the same test to a holder that will go through the carry-on x-ray machine. Please report your results!

Quote Originally Posted by Pfsor View Post
    In Britain, at Gatwick, asking for hand inspection will bring you a brisk response - no way! With no smile at all.
    Even when you are using X-Ray film?

What is the reality with x-raying the X-ray film?
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Foamer

I've not had trouble in the past with ISO 100 to ISO 400 film go through CARRY ON xray several times. I would not put film into one of those lead bags as the operator will be tempted to simply dial up the power until the xray penetrates the bag. I put only cheap, replaceable camera gear into checked bags. Theft seems to be rampant (maybe not in Japan?)

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

If security CAN see through -- without a lead bag -- then you know your film has been exposed!