Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reccomendations for West Texas

Reccomendations for West Texas

Looks like I might get an assignment in Midland Texas and was looking for a base location that I can easily fly into Midland, but also drive to nice LF photography locations on my days off. Initially I was thinking Houston or Dallas but to be honest I have no idea. I like shooting 8x10 and 4x5

Neil
    Come and see what I have done up and until now at www.neilsphotography.co.uk

Re: Reccomendations for West Texas

If you appreciate landscape photography, you are in a GREAT place. You will be equidistant from Big Bend NP, Guadeloupe Mts. NP, and Carlsbad Caverns NP. They are all different and one alone could use up all the film you could carry. I've been to all, and would not say one is better than the other. They are all different, but this is the best time of year to go. If you have time, visit all three, otherwise, check on line or get a book about them and pick your poison. No matter which you choose, you will have wished you went to the other(s).

I lived in Texas for 23 years and recently left. The size is enormous, thus it's too easy to underestimate the scale and huge open spaces. Midland to Houston is an all day drive for example. Generally, the farther west you go the better the landscapes for photography. That puts you in a prime location as suggested by xkaes. The Texas Hill Country between Midland and Interstate 35 also has scenic opportunities. The Texas State Parks are great for photos. Houston and Dallas are each far different from the areas of West Texas. If you like semi tropical forests, swamps and bayous, East Texas has a lot of that. Texas is very diverse.

OP says he will fly to Midland for work but can live elsewhere.

Draw a 3-500 mile circle around Midland and check airline connections.

I'd pick Albuquerque and Santa Fe.

I should add, LF cameras are perfectly fine in the places I've listed -- except, POSSIBLY, Carlsbad. National Parks, etc. have rules and regs about professional photographers. 99% of the time this is not a problem, but some "staff" quickly assume that a LF camera means a professional. There is no point in debating with them. Just keep your gear out of sight. I've taken my 4x5 through Lehman Caves in Nevada. They did not have a problem with my gear -- and tripod of course -- but it was a ranger lead tour, so anything other than a snap shot was impossible. Carlsbad is usually not ranger lead, but you need to check with them about the details. Just FYI.

And, this is a BIG "and", wherever you end up bring more Willie Nelson music than film!

Les

The sky at Big Bend NP is magical, since it's many miles from the nearest town. Some cool rock formations, as well. Don't forget White Sands.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D01_5018-XA.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	120.1 KB 
ID:	171896Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D01_5312.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	171897

Les

Les

Hmmm, should have mentioned the night sky.

Les

If you like "local flavor" there are plenty of interesting towns such as Turkey, Texas - the home of Bob Wills. Near Amarillo there is the Cadillac Ranch. Most any of the small towns will have buildings and interesting locations. Don't forget Texas High School football stadiums. Often bigger than small college stadiums in other States.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Ha! I made a special trip to Big Bend for photography and Astronomy in late March a couple of years ago. We were there for 4 days. Clouded over day and night. No sun, no stars. So don't assume the good weather will be there even if you are there in prime season. Will I go back? Probably not, it's a long drive and Texas seems to have a lot of wasteland.

But, Big Bend has a wonderful landscape, all you need is light