Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving West

Re: Moving West

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    I was caught in a dust storm between Tucson and Phoenix. Fortunately, we did not become involved in an accident, as many have. It was almost as surreal as being in Vietnam.

Welcome to Tucson. Been here almost 12 years now and we really like it. Only real issue is the almost 90 degree "cold" water in the summer. Speaking of water, you need to drink a lot of it. Perspiration just evaporates in the hot dry air so you lose a lot of fluid without realizing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
    ...Only real issue is the almost 90 degree "cold" water in the summer...

Only problem is the $2,422.50. I've looked at these things. I even talked with a German company that makes plate coolers. I even thought about getting a used office water cooler from EvilBay I think I can survive with a bucket of ice water. It's just inconvenient to make sure I have a bucket of ice available. If I'm not going to do too much I just fill three Jobo bottles with water and freeze them and drop them in.

update- we are in Amarillo tonight, to be in Tucson by Thursday PM. Driving a 27' Penske truck is quite the 'adventure'... it goes the speed it wants; 0-60 "sometimes'. We'll be happy when we arrive...

Once you live in the SW, you will never want to have Mexican food anywhere else.

Congrats!!
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
    Only problem is the $2,422.50. I've looked at these things. I even talked with a German company that makes plate coolers. I even thought about getting a used office water cooler from EvilBay I think I can survive with a bucket of ice water. It's just inconvenient to make sure I have a bucket of ice available. If I'm not going to do too much I just fill three Jobo bottles with water and freeze them and drop them in.
    Hey Jim,

I just posted a few pictures of my homemade water chiller under "Darkroom Equipment". It's rude and crude, but it works. After I finished it, a friend said, "Why didn't you just look for a little square dorm fridge?"
    He has a valid point-they sell for cheap online and I could have just drilled holes thru the top or the door.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

I think a little wine chiller would be in the right temp and price range. From today's Tucson Craigslist"

https://tucson.craigslist.org/app/d/...376753601.html
    https://tucson.craigslist.org/hsh/d/...351341967.html
    https://tucson.craigslist.org/app/d/...368389209.html
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    In Colorado, we have dust storms. In Arizona, they have HABOOBS:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haboob

Think H-bomb vs A-bomb.
    Last edited by xkaes; 10-Nov-2017 at 16:43.

Les

@OP

Even with yer fast moving truck (snick snick) you should be there by now. As I see it, you have a smidgen over 6 months to travel SW (and take images) and wallow in a good weather. Anyway, it will give you time to adjust slowly to the climate....without feeling like you've been dropped in the middle of a large furnace.

Just looked up D. Valley and the temps there are in the 70's for the next 2 weeks....just a hint :>).

Les