Thread: Big Camera Gathering in Ontario this Saturday

-Rob bigcameraworkshops.com Robert Skeoch's Avatar

Big Camera Gathering in Ontario this Saturday

This Saturday is the Big Camera Gathering at Rattlesnake Point in Milton, Ontario. If you shoot sheet film you're invited to this informal gathering and shoot.

Rattlesnake Point is a pretty good spot for landscapes with the old gnarly cedar trees hanging over the cliffs of the Niagara Escarpment. It's also a chance to meet other photographers who shoot LF. I've had a pretty good response to this so am expecting a good turnout. I hope to see a couple of ULF cameras, and even try one out.

So here is a list of things to consider.

I should be at the "Upper Parking Lot" by 9am. I hope to take a team photo around noon.

There is a $4.50 per person cost to get into "Rattlesnake Conservation Area", ... your fee also gets you into "Kelso" just down the road where they have a great swimming lake. (I guess you could dump, I mean drop, the kids off at Kelso with your spouse for a day at the lake, then continue up to Rattlesnake Point).

I will have a 4x5 available if you don't have a camera but want to give it a try.... bring a box to put your exposed film in.

I will bring a large harrison changing tent.

Bring along an extra empty film box incase you have to change film holders... or get a chance to try a larger format..... I'm hoping to try out someone's 11x14. Hint, hint.

No food or water to buy on site... bring your own.

It could be busy with the rock climbers using the cliff area.

Bring along a print or two to show.... I've got some amazing ones.... of course I didn't shoot them, but they are good.

I hope to set up a small area with a flower or two to shoot, I have a small black background but if you have a large black background maybe throw it in your car.

That's all I can think of, see you Saturday. ... my car is a gray Camry station wagon.

-Rob Skeoch

Senior for sure

Rob, I won't be able to attend this one but lets do some more of these in the future. I can bring a couple 4x5s and an 8x10 (BYOF!) and basically a portable studio if situation warrants including strobes, softboxes, reflectors and a generator, if some want to try their hand at some portraiture as well. There's some good sites around for this - Dundurn, RBG etc which might make for some interesting shooting, in addition to the escarpment.

-Rob bigcameraworkshops.com Robert Skeoch's Avatar

Thank you everyone who came out.... we had 17 in all.
    If you haven't received a list of emails and the photo please contact me directly.... I wasn't able to read a couple of the email addresses.
    -Rob Skeoch

Just got back from Rattlesnake point, had a great time today meeting every one. I learned some things and got to see some great prints. Thanks Rob, if it wasn't for you organizing this outing I would still feel like the only one in the Toronto area using L.F. Now I know there are a few more than one, there’s probably a lot more lurking around who couldn’t make it today.

Michael Dowdall

Hey Rob,

I'm one of the one's who couldn't make it. I was housebound all day waiting for the wood to be delivered for my new floor -- I'm converting the livingroom/diningroom into a gallery space. The wood was a no-show. Sounds like you had a great time. When's the next one?