Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to donate?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Where to donate?

I was given a short prognosis, and have started to put my affairs in order. The disposition of my photo collection is my current project. I would like to see it go to a museum or a teaching institution. It's rather extensive - 1,000 images or so. Any ideas?
    bwehman@wehmancamera.com
    Bruce Wehman

Re: Where to donate?

Bruce, I'm very sorry to hear about your prognosis. Kirk Gittings teaches classes for the Art Institute of Chicago. They still do analogue classes. Another option might be Lawrence University in Appleton, WI. John Shimon, http://www.shimonlindemann.com/, a very accomplished large format photographer, works in the photography program. They have a very extensive program. I donated a spare Durst enlarger to them a few years ago. I'll make both of them aware of this tread. Best wishes!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Bruce, I am so sorry... seconding Peter's good wishes.

Can you tell us just a bit more about the composition of your collection? That may help in finding a match.

EDIT: this may be a long shot, but Ken Tanaka, who is a regular commenter and occasional contributor to Mike Johnston's The Online Photographer blog, is very active on the arts scene in Chicago. I'd imagine he has a good knowledge of the institutional landscape and perhaps could steer you in the right direction. He has his own website now, which includes a contact page:

https://www.kentanaka.com/

Bruce, very sad news for all of us.

Your work is extensive and of uniformly high quality. Have you considered University of Arizona's Center for Creative Photography? Below is from their website, your work would be in fine company.

The Center for Creative Photography, University of Arizona, is recognized as one of the world's finest academic art museums and study centers for the history of photography. The Center opened in 1975, following a meeting between the University President John Schaefer and Ansel Adams. Beginning with the archives of five living master photographers—Ansel Adams, Wynn Bullock, Harry Callahan, Aaron Siskind, and Frederick Sommer—the collection has grown to include 239 archival collections. Among these are some of the most recognizable names in 20th century North American photography: W. Eugene Smith, Lola Alvarez Bravo, Edward Weston, and Garry Winogrand. Altogether there are over five million archival objects in the Center's collection including negatives, work prints, contact sheets, albums, scrapbooks, correspondence, writings, audiovisual materials and memorabilia. In addition to whole archival collections the Center also actively acquired individual photographs by modern and contemporary photographers. There are currently more than 90,000 works by over 2,200 photographers. A library of books, journals, and exhibition and auction catalogs including many rare publications plus an extensive oral history collection complements the archival and fine print collections. The combined art, archival, and research collections at the Center provide an unparalleled resource for research, exhibitions, loans, and traveling exhibitions.

I can't offer any suggestions for your collection but just wanted to offer my best wishes going forward and to thank you for your contribution to the large format community.

Fred
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

I, too, am sorry about your prognosis. I can’t help with your question, but I want to thank you for making my wonderful camera.

Very sorry to hear this. I really appreciated when you sent that replacement part for my Wehman camera, free of charge no less. I had already decided to focus on 8x10 this autumn in the Appalachians, but I'll do so doubly now. I wish I could help - do you have a plan for replacement parts currently on hand for your wonderful cameras? If not I would love to discuss and help if possible.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Dave Karp

Bruce, I am sorry about your prognosis.

My deepest sympathies regarding the prognosis.

You may want to consider the MFA in Boston. While not a teaching university they are within walking distance (less than a 1/4 mile) from MassART and the Museum School and have rich programs for students to study and examine prints. I used their print extensively when I was a graduate student at MassART.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very sorry to hear that Bruce, I don't have donation suggestions, just wanted to express my regret. Damian