Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What speed 4x5 film for newbie?

Re: What speed 4x5 film for newbie?

I would pick a 400 iso black and white film. Probably HP5+ - widely available, flexible in processing and good quality. As pointed out above less demanding on tripod and technique (faster shutter speeds or more depth of field). I wouldn't start with a cheap film as you'll want to switch over at some point anyway, and then you'll have to learn a new film.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    In summary, you are on your own.
    ... but there’s a way to figure it out.

Try this: set a light meter to 100 and meter a scene you are interested in photographing. Do any of the available exposures allow you to capture the image as you desire. Then set the meter to 400 and repeat. Do this for the typical scene types you are in photographing. Very soon you will figure out which is best for you.

I’m in the 100 camp, even for handheld press camera work. I have a bunch of 400 film that just keeps getting older and older.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    In summary, you are on your own.
    lol Indeed
    " ummm, it's 320 Megapixels, and the sensor is replaced by a new one after every "capture"....."

400 for me too. HP5+ is a great film to learn, and keep using.
    Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'll offer another perspective: a box of whatever is cheapest and/or to hand. Make it work, find out how it works for your desired images, and get yourself some data for a minimum cost. *Then* you're in a better position to decide whether you need something faster or slower.

Personally I prefer 100ASA which I often slightly overexpose (i.e. 64ASA), because there's little I shoot that isn't stationary, and I care about shadow detail most of the time. And of course, 100ASA, 1/100th, f16 when the sun is shining brightly works when all else fails!

Neil

FP4 or HP5.

I mostly use Delta 100 (EI 50) with some HP5 (EI 200), but a) I live in Northern California, about 15 degrees of latitude further south than Yorkshire so I have generally brighter days, and b) I use a fair bit of Delta in roll film formats, which influences my choice.

Stick with what you know, or the nearest equivalent, then you will not be trying to learn a new film/developer combination with all the quirks of large format.

As has been evident by the responses here, get some 100 speed film, or get some 400 speed film, or get some of each and GO OUT AND SHOOT!.

But don't make my mistake. As has been suggested, Arista 100 EDU is inexpensive. I bought a bunch of it thinking, "How bad could it be?" Well, I have not been able to get to like this film at all. I just find it ugly.

Get some TMax 100 or 400 or FP4+ or Tri X and GO OUT AND SHOOT!

Rich

I think more film speed gives you more flexibility. HP5, and smaller apertures.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Quote Originally Posted by campy View Post
    I am about to order some 4x5 b&w film and I am curious as to what speed I should be using while learning. I already developed some Ilford 400 but have yet to do any contact prints.
    Try xray film...full speed is about 200 iso and half speed is 100 . a 100 sheet box of 8x10 is about $35. That cuts down to 400 sheets of 4x5. Check the specs as most is red light safe but some is green light

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Dave Karp

Think about whether you will use filters. Even a yellow #8 will cost you a stop. A #25 red, way more. If you start at 100 ISO, you may be getting into long exposures. If you shoot at less than box speed, like most of us probably, the exposures get even longer. If you like to shoot 100 speed, try some Arista.EDU 200 or Foma 200 (same stuff) shot at 100. My favorite is HP5+. The only way for you to know is to try a film out.