Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Source of hot water

Source of hot water

Hi guys,

I'd like to tap into the collective and ask a question.

What equipment/source for heating water do you have/recommend in your darkroom?

I only have a source of cold water in my setup and obviously need to raise it to 20deg C for B&W processing.

Maybe an electric shower or similar?

Thanks,
    Mike

Re: Source of hot water

Do you need a continuous flow of water or just a few liters or gallons every now and then. If you need a few finite draws of water, there are small 2.5 gallon water heaters that plug into 110 volt supplies that can be plumbed in and then run to a hot/cold water faucet. It may not be able to keep up with continuous flow though. There are also some tankless electric water heaters but they will require a separate 240 volt line run to the darkroom and can be somewhat expensive. What I said applies to the US as far as voltages are concerned but may apply to other parts of our blue sphere also.

Just a note: It is critical to keep the developer temperature stable; I make sure that the pre-soak water (in case of film) is at 20 degC, as well as the developer (in the case of film and paper). The other--stop, fixer, wash agent, etc., need to be close. I think that I remember 'within 5 degF' The other solutions' activity is not so heat-promoted/heat-affected as are the compounds in the developer.
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

If the home and darkroom are heated why not store whatever water you need and let the home warm it to ambient.

Prepper water storage containers? Costco sells them. Or 3.5 gallon water bricks. https://www.overstock.com/Emergency-...FcIHPwod1TMAtA

Between here and there

If it is cold in the darkroom too, a heater to keep the liquids in temperature could be a good idea.

Thanks guys.

I was thinking of a continuous flow of tempered water for film washing, for example from an electric shower unit.

I have a mixing valve that will control the temperature, but it needs a hot as well as cold supply.

Quote Originally Posted by mpirie View Post
    I have a mixing valve that will control the temperature, but it needs a hot as well as cold supply.
    Put a T junction before the inlet to the heater.

That's the plan Jac, but first i need a heater.

An EU on-demand shower heater, with gas or AC, is on all the time the water is flowing. You only need a trickle of water to wash film and paper. It will use too much juice.

I hate to say it, a US-style holding/buffering tank hot water heater will perhaps be cheaper to operate at a trickle.

Quote Originally Posted by mpirie View Post
    That's the plan Jac, but first i need a heater.
    I misunderstood. Sorry. For B&W temperature control you only need it for developer, stop and fix. Most modern films are highly resistant to reticulation, so a not-so-gentle transition from fix to wash is not critical. Hypo eliminator, of course, helps with the wash.

Good luck!

My darkroom is freezing cold. Too cold for printing. I'm out of it for the Winter.

Oh, I see that Randy Moe mentioned EU heaters! Yep, maybe a good approach. When I lived in England my place had a hot water heater and baseboard that accepting Shillings for a timed heat. Talk about penny pinching! Oh, and the home phone was a pay phone. I do not miss those days.