Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Darkbox construction ideas?

Between here and there

Darkbox construction ideas?

I have been using a normal changing bag for years, and it has worked out mostly, sort of. With 5x7 and possibly 8x10 in the future, it is bit constrained.

I am only changing film at home, so a more permanent solution would be nice. I was thinking of making a sort of darkbox, large enough for changing 8x10 filmholders and development drums, but I'd like some input from people more handy than myself.

A wooden box, black paint on the inside, some sort of sleeves to put the arms through and a lid to open to be able to put the filmbox and hloders inside.

I have been thinking about the Harrison tents, but do they last (considering the "sticky" issues mentioned here and there) when setup permanently on a table? Maybe I should just pick up the wallet and be done?

Re: Darkbox construction ideas?

A possible alternative?: I would think that for the time and materials you would need to construct a dark box, you could find a way to black out a room in your home/apartment (bathroom, etc.). Having dark counter space to work on is really a lot more comfortable than working in a box or changing tent. Just a thought...

Doremus

Between here and there

Yeah, that could work too - but I want to skip the setup step and get a small dark space of my own, without intruding too much on the other family members. Time is very limited at the moment, sometimes getting an hour of my own is stretching it.

Ideally, a new darkroom would be great. I'll have to think a bit more. Keep the ideas coming.

The box will be clunky, and if anyone who sees it will think of you as a mad scientist... :-0

Another option I use with a standard large changing bag is to get the rack that is used to hang file folders in a filing cabinet drawer, polish or tape any end that make cut or poke, and insert inside your changing bag to fully open the inside area... Enough room to load 8X10 holders, spare holders, and film boxes, and folds up flat...

Steve K

Take a look at Fuji Dark Box and see what they've done with the idea and how they handled the poles and folding for storage.

Here's what I have---
    A bathroom with a piece of cardboard that fits snugly into the window sill, and a towel to block light from coming in under the door.
    Cost? $0
    Even better: it works.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

In defense of boxes and tents, it's pretty nice to set up in front of the TV while doing your dark deeds

I have had similar thoughts. What about a black plastic container with arms from a changing bag glued in?
    something like this? http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70292364/

If you have a small closet this setup works great. This is a setup I got from Joe Van Cleave's video, https://youtu.be/hzCMs1ppn3k?t=3m3s . Setup time in a small closet is less than 90 seconds. This setup can also be used in large changing bag or a Photoflex Changing Room.
    Questions and comments are always welcome

Sometimes, the problem when using a (non re-purposed, dedicated) closet is if there is still clothes/stuff inside, that there is still a lot of odd shapes/surfaces there can catch dust/lint, and difficult keeping materials clean, it is difficult to properly dust the items already there... (Don't ask how I know!!!)

One tip is anywhere you decide to load film should have simple, clean surfaces (that can be easily cleaned), and not too hot or humid, because if humid, the film can swell making it hard to load into holders with tight fits, and if too hot, your sweat might drip on the materials, or your hands might be damp while handling...

Steve K