Thread: 5x7 enlargers - any recommendations?

5x7 enlargers - any recommendations?

My old 5x7 Elwood has seen me through to this point, but I think it's time to look for more rigidity and precision. I know that a used Zone VI comes up on ebay from time to time; what is the difference between types 1 and 2? Are there any other makes I should seriously consider? I would really like to stick with a diffusion-type design. Anyone have any luck with just beefing up the Elwood and adding a vc coldlight? Thanks ahead of time for your thoughts.

Durst 138S w/ color head gives you a difusion enlarger. It is reigid, flexible in use and in general a great workhorse.

The word on the Zone VI Type 1 was that it wasn't really designed to cover 5x7 with even illumination to the edges - it was more of a "super 4x5" enlarger. If I recall correctly, this was improved in the Type 2. I hope someone who has actually used one or the other will be able to jump in and comment.

There are a lot of Omega E models out there.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

I built my own out of a (very old) Polaroid MP3 copy camera. I have only used an Elwood a few times in school, it worked fine for me. All I can say is, if it is working well don't mess.

When it comes to alignment all you need is a three directional lazer level (PorterCable has a little one for $70) and a couple of smaller mirrors, maybe some shims and glue. It is very hard to buy your way out of alignment problems, even brand new enlargers have issues sometimes. I advise you to fix up what you have and then think about buying a new (easier?) set of problems .

Cheers,

wfwhitaker

Durst.

Durst.

I used both Omega and Beselar 5x7 enlargers and after using a Durst, they is no comparion. There is no compromise in the construction or operation of 5x7 or larger enlarger. The accessories available conver the spectrum for any possible or imagined task. Take a look :

http://www.jensen-optical.com/5x7_comparison%20guide.htm

Once you have the opportunity to use one, you won't use another brand. Good luck

Mike ( a 139G user)
    “You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?”

Another vote for Durst. BTW if you want a complete Durst 5x7 setup at a reasonable price contact Jeremy at ProCam (www.procam.com) in Lebanon, NH. I have not seen the machine as it is in Jeremy's garage since there is no longer room for it in their new store but he is asking $400 for a very complete setup. He called me Saturday to tell me he is now also throwing in an old but working wood 5x7 (Burke and James if it is the one that was in the old store). Phone is 800-638-3318. ProCam is an old established full line dealership that is struggling to stay afloat in our digital world but not suceeding too well.

My only association with them is they are my nearest stocking dealer when I can't wait for chemistry or film, etc. to get to me mailorder from MidWest or Badger. Good luck.

Oren G: My 5x7 Zone VI, type I, which I bought when it was introduced by Fred Picker, covers the 5x7 negative format flawlessly. But, for the 5x7 format, I use the 210 Componon S.